We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Dread

Which Sharm El Sheikh hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Stratford-upon-Avon...
Level Contributor
8 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
Dread

Someone please reassure me... I keep seeing various posts that hve literally filled me with dread about my upcoming 2 week holiday. A majority of people seem to get poorly, swimming pools you shouldn't swim in nor the sea cause there dirty, the drinks are proper spirits, the food is awful in most hotels, airport scams, and harassment by various people!

I'm after some positive matters!!!! Lol

Plymouth, United...
Level Contributor
100 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Dread

Hey don't sweat it. There's always a few people who have negative experiences or just a negative outlook and they tend to be the most vocal (do it myself sometimes!). I'm sure the majority of visitors have a wonderful time with no ill effects. As for the red sea being a dumping ground for sewage, that certainly wasn't what I experienced last year whilst diving around naama bay and ras mohammed, pristine clear waters and mile upon mile of healthy coral...

Kent
Destination Expert
for Egypt
Level Contributor
4,452 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Dread

I firmly believe a holiday is what you make it.

Lots of people love Egypt, myself included, yes there are scams, yes it is possible to get ill, but be sensible, don't stay out in the sun for hours on end. Don't drink soo much alchohol, that by 10am, you are very very inebriated. Drink plenty of water, and above all enjoy yourself.

Sunderland, United...
Level Contributor
41 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Dread

We were in Sharm for the first time in August - had the same reservations as you and ended up having a great time, Food was just like any other all inclusive - bit samey but always found something to eat, and it was always fresh and cooked through , it was very hot but bearable, yes my OH did get a stomach bug which the doc blamed on snorkelling and he opted for drip treatment and was fine within 24 hours ,this did not stop us having a great time, people are the most freindly and helpful we have met on a holiday and we met some lovely holidaymakers too - Infact as soon as we got back we booked to go again next year !!

Brighouse, United...
Level Contributor
50 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Dread

Just back from Holiday Village, went very apprehensive after reading negative reports on here - it was the best holiday I've ever had, at 48 years old (26 years of going abroad, including as a young un working in Magaluf, going on family hols to Santorini, Skiathos etc, holidayed all over Europe & Africa). It was amazing, We're already looking to book again for 2013 (something I've never done before). Everything was amazing, my wife & 2 children (4 & 8), loved it, food was great, weather, beach, staff etc were spot on. No stomach bugs, swam in sea every day, had ice in drinks etc, no worries whatsoever, feel free to email me with any specific questions, but I honestly couldn't fault it, & I'm fussy with regards to holidays!

Falkirk, United...
Level Contributor
39 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Dread

At one point last week after reading lots of negative reports I was beginning to think I had made a big mistake in booking my holiday but as someone said there are always negative people around.And if you actually thought about it most countries get these reports at one time or another eg Turkey can get a terrible reputation but I have been several times and not had any bother. So get your positive head on like what I did and start looking forward to your holiday. I am sure it will be fine.

Cheshire, United...
Level Contributor
405 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Dread

I travelled in July with my 16 year old daughter and was dreading it....how wrong was i !!! We have booked again to go in October. Loved it...yes,it was extremely hot, no we didn't get bitten by mossies or constantly pestered by the locals. As someone has stated in a post before holidays are what you make them and i am sure you will enjoy yourself.

As for the airport, we checked in just like in the UK, went through passport control (everyone very pleasant) found a seat and then boarded the plane. IMOH just like every other airport in the world!

Belfast, United...
Level Contributor
395 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Dread

Most people go to egypt the first time and dont know what to expect. Going to book for next year it will be are third time. Best holiday yet. Relaxing around the pool drinks getting brought to you when your glass is empty. People friendly. Egypt caters for relaxing or out and about it is a marvellous were else would you get it. Sun shines every day lying at the pool at 7-30 in the morning. Swim up bar at the pools food different always something to eat. Love egypt.

england
Level Contributor
2,934 posts
95 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Dread

If you consider the hundred of thousands of people from all over the world who go to Sharm each year for a holiday there are only a small percetage of the people who feel it necessary to 'warn' other travellers of some of the dangers, then someone must be doing something right. If you take each of the comments you read and add them to your pre holiday store of information, take the necessary precautions when handling money, use a hand sanitizer - dont allow yourself to be talked into buying something you dont want and go with a positive but aware attitude you will have a fab time. If things were so bad then the hotels would not be full again, Sharm had a bad time earlier in the year with many tourist chosing not to go, this is a tourist town, there is little or no other work and the staff mainly live in other parts of Egypt so that have to work hard to ensure you have a good time so that hopefully like us and many more you will return again and again.

staffs
Level Contributor
859 posts
55 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Dread

I think if you go on any forum you will find negatives as well as positives for any destination,as someone else has said,you just keep an eye on whats being said and use it to your advantage.We said we would never go to the same place twice and we have been twice a year for the last god knows how long!!

Liverpool
Level Contributor
439 posts
56 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Dread

Hey Laurz, I agree with everyone else. Like you, I really did not want to go to Sharm (it was my OH that did). I fully expected to get ill with listening to other people and knowing my dodgy stomach! Maybe because of this I did take some initial care i.e. not going totally ott the first day there with sun, food or alcohol and washing hands frequently but after a couple of days I just got on with enjoying the holiday.

I can honestly say I thoroughly enjoyed it all - the food, the people, the atmosphere.

From what I have read most hotels will be very particular with food hygiene - they want the visitors to return after all.....seems to be other guests that aren't!!! Don't know what the answer to all that is.........

Relax and enjoy. Kath

Get answers to your questions about Sharm El Sheikh