We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Nervous about stomach sickness

Which Sharm El Sheikh hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Hillerod, Denmark
Level Contributor
178 posts
Save Topic
Nervous about stomach sickness

Hi we have booked the Mirabel Beach Resort in december, but when I google "sick mirabel beach resort" there pops up alot about people getting sick at this Resort, so we are very worried and thinking of cancel the trip and go to the canarie islands instead.

Anyone know whats right and wrong regarding this "problem" og getting sick in Egypt.

Is the food-hygienge better at the resorts in the canaries, because there isnt so many google hits about this issue there?

West Country
Level Contributor
1,460 posts
116 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Nervous about stomach sickness

I can't say specifically about that hotel but many people get a tummy bug simply through failing to wash their hands before eating (or at all) and in many cases they are responsible for their own downfall.

Egypt is well known for its upset tummies and sometimes yes, the food is to blame but there are also other factors such as the aforementioned personal hygiene, an over abundance of alcohol, dehydration due to lack of appropriate liquid intake and being unwell before travelling.

If you are worried I would look at threads for that specific hotel or look at the latest reviews and contact the authors to see what they have to say about things.

Bournemouth, United...
Level Contributor
85 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Nervous about stomach sickness

When you arrive, make sure you NEVER put your aircon on below 18 degrees, it is a well known fact that going from hot to a chilled room plays havoc with your stomach.

Along with poor hygene from other guests more than anything. Take a small bottle of hand sanitizer around with you, use it after every hand shake, everytime you touch money, before and after every meal etc...

We have been ok both times we have been to Sharm, just be careful because if your not, it is inevitable that you will get an upset tummy.

Nottingham, United...
Destination Expert
for Sharm El Sheikh
Level Contributor
1,825 posts
127 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Nervous about stomach sickness

I agree - in more than two dozen visits we have been fine - we eat salads,fruit,ice cream and have ice in drinks. Always careful to wash hands after handling money and before and after eating and drink lots of water to stay hydrated in the extreme heat, be sensible on alcohol and sun exposure and use hand gel when you can't access soap and water. If you google any hotel in Egypt you will probably find a fair number of people saying they suffered stomach trouble but bet most are due to other factors than the food.

Chesterfield...
Level Contributor
2,935 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Nervous about stomach sickness

Can you recommend a good hotel with decent food ive never been before and wsnt to book for next march

Hillerod, Denmark
Level Contributor
178 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Nervous about stomach sickness

Going in december I dont think we will be using aircon at the rooms.

we will wash our hands before eating etc.

If so you dont think we should worry?

It is an AI resort, so we will be eating in the buffe and also eating icecream and drinking soda every day. No worries about that either ? regarding hygiene?

I would love to taste everything at the buffet :)

UK
Level Contributor
1,773 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Nervous about stomach sickness

If you put "sick" and any resort name then you will get loads of threads about people being sick there. That is what you are searching for. If you look then you will find.

The main way that viruses get transmitted in hotels is not from contaminated food or water, but from other guests. You might be vigilant about washing your hands but other people are not. If someone goes to the toilet and doesn't wash their hands, then touches a door handle, the handrail on some stairs, the serving spoon or lid at the dinner buffet, holds onto the block of cheese to cut a piece, picks up a bread roll and puts it back... and then you touch it after them... then you've caught it. People are very quick to blame the hotel but the fact is that 99% of the time it is the other guests who are to blame.

cheshire
Level Contributor
295 posts
75 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Nervous about stomach sickness

We were very ill when we were at the Mirabel Beach and that was 4yrs ago and the problem is still ongoing.I agree with others that this happens at any of the Hotels in Egypt and i dont think it as anything to do with the cleanliness of the Hotels.If we were to go again i would boil the Bottled water before drinking because we followed every rule in the book before and while we were there and still got ill.We were told that the water is bottled in Egypt and could be the cause also the tip about Air con is spot on a Dr advised us about that also not drinking ice cold drinks sat in the sun.1,000,s go to Egypt and dont fall ill its just a risk you have to take if you want to see Egypt.With reference to would you be better going elsewhere,theres no guarantee,s but dont think the risk is as high but hopefully you,ll be 1 of the many lucky one,s.

Norwich England
Level Contributor
554 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Nervous about stomach sickness

the hygiene conditions and food is great at the reef oasis blue bay.

Gloucestershire.
Destination Expert
for Sharm El Sheikh
Level Contributor
1,393 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Nervous about stomach sickness

Just booked our 7th trip - and have never been ill (maybe just lucky)....... but more often than not people are happy to talk about how sick they have been......... I'm pretty sure it's actually a small minority over all....... Hope you have a fab holiday - go positively and ENJOY !!!!!!!

Manchester, United...
Level Contributor
1,225 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Nervous about stomach sickness

I think its down to luck

Doing the above will make sure that the risk is minimised.

Get answers to your questions about Sharm El Sheikh