We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

1st time trip, worried ........

Which Sharm El Sheikh hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Catterick, England...
Level Contributor
8 posts
10 reviews
Save Topic
1st time trip, worried ........

We are trying to plan a holiday in Sharm for the end of November for a week. I have been searching hotels for past couple days and although the diving looks amazing and we are guaranteed nice weather , little worried about the dodgy tummies so many people seem to suffer from . Looked at a couple hotels that look suitable but some of the reviews are shocking. I know the 5 star hotels fall well below European standards. Narrowed down search to Melia and Savoy . Just looking for a peaceful week relaxing and diving , somewhere clean comfy bed and food that won't make us ill!

Leicester
Level Contributor
17 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: 1st time trip, worried ........

Hi lindam,

To reassure you, I visited Sharm in August and was worried about suffering a dodgy tummy too. However, I'm sure you only suffer if you drink too much or eat heavy meals. I was fine for my whole 12 day trip. The weather was boiling so I kept hydrated with plenty of bottled water, didn't overdo the alcohol and ate several small meals during the day. Interestingly, the only time I started to notice stomach churning (sorry!) was during my last two days and I'm pretty sure it was only because I bumped into a British couple and started to eat heavy meals in the evening with them, lol! :)

Just take some dioralyte rehydration sachets too if you're worried, but if you heed my advice you'll be fine! :)

Leicester
Level Contributor
17 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: 1st time trip, worried ........

Hi lindam,

To reassure you, I visited Sharm in August and was worried about suffering a dodgy tummy too. However, I'm sure you only suffer if you drink too much or eat heavy meals. I was fine for my whole 12 day trip. The weather was boiling so I kept hydrated with plenty of bottled water, didn't overdo the alcohol and ate several small meals during the day. Interestingly, the only time I started to notice stomach churning (sorry!) was during my last two days and I'm pretty sure it was only because I bumped into a British couple and started to eat heavy meals in the evening with them, lol! :)

Just take some dioralyte rehydration sachets too if you're worried, but if you heed my advice you'll be fine! :)

Edited: 14 November 2012, 01:43
West Midlands
Level Contributor
49 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: 1st time trip, worried ........

Hi Linda M,

We went to Egypt for the first time 2 years ago, and we're going back next February.

I travelled with my husband, my brother and his wife - the 3 of them were perfectly fine all week, no problems whatsoever. And they all eat like horses and tried most things!

I did have a dodgy tum for a few days, but being honest it doesn't really seem to matter where I go on holiday I always seem to suffer for a few days, so I wasn't suprised about this. So I went straight to the chemist, got the tablets they give you over there and was sorted out.

My advise would be, wash hands often (especially before eating), take some of the sanitary hand gel with you and use that often, and defiantely give your hands a good wash after handling any money.

Also keep well hydrated and as LotusQueen suggests eating little and often is better than big 'blow out' meals.

United Kingdom
Destination Expert
for Sharm El Sheikh, Red Sea and Sinai, Side
Level Contributor
20,142 posts
183 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: 1st time trip, worried ........

Hi,

Over on the right side of the page under Top Q (& under the Tips thread, at the top of the thread listings) are tips about upset stomach:

tripadvisor.co.uk/Travel-g297555-c141622/Sha…

Regards

Derbyshire
Level Contributor
332 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: 1st time trip, worried ........

nowhere you go to can gurantee no illness.

take sensible precautions and seek immediate medical advice if ill.

england
Level Contributor
2,934 posts
95 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: 1st time trip, worried ........

There are literally thousands of people going to Sharm every year and yes some people get an upset tummy, however few let it spoil their holiday, we have been to Tunisia Turkey and Egypt several times, all places with the dodgy tummy reputation and always take medication from the UK but -touch wood - never had to use it - most people will tell you if you get ill in sharm go directly to a nearest chemist who will give you the local medication and most are back to health within 24 hours. We love it in sharm and have been to the Ghazala gardens now three times, would not consider going anywhere else.

Catterick, England...
Level Contributor
8 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: 1st time trip, worried ........

Thank you for your helpful responses. Sounds like I should not be so worried! Just trying to choose a hotel now , anyone been to the Savoy?

hertfordshire...
Level Contributor
17 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: 1st time trip, worried ........

hi, we go the sharm a lot as it is an easy flight and sunshine all year round. we are going to aqua blu for 3 weeks from 27th nov. we have been there before and picked it again because it has a good choice of eating holes. my advice is to use hand sanitiser alot, especially before eating and after handling money. eat in the hotel, outside is more lightly to be dodgy. salad in the hotels is washed with bottled water and the ice is made with bottled water. avoid icecream and don't drink alcohol in the heat of the day. you'll be fine and the fish are amazing. take a snorkel and beach shoes, as bits of coral are like razors!!! if you want peace and quiet avoid naama bay. good luck, debbie

Liverpool, United...
Level Contributor
71 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: 1st time trip, worried ........

hi, we have been to about four hotels in sharm, until we found the Radisson blu in Nabq bay, never had a dodgy tummy or any of our freinds or family, we now have been six times to the radisson, and cant fault it, food is very good allways somethink nice to eat from the buffet, or al acarte. diving from the end of the pier is fantastic (own private beach) or you can book a day trip from the on site dive centre (coral dive centre) very good day out on there boat, (seen wild dolphins) would recomend the radisson blu 100%

newcastle
Level Contributor
129 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: 1st time trip, worried ........

Hi we are going to reef oasis blue bay in a week,, but been to loads of hotels there and to be honest we went to holiday village red sea last november and it was the first time I've never had pharaohs revenge,, food ,, staff and wine fine and I drink a lot so can't blame sun,,,, only reason not going back is to many kids out of school when they should be at school ,, but hey ho prices and that I understand ,, so all in all I think it's in the kitchen where you get upset tummy,, in my own opinion ,, cheers

Get answers to your questions about Sharm El Sheikh