We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Jellyfish?

Which Sharm El Sheikh hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
London, United...
Level Contributor
258 posts
8 reviews
Save Topic
Jellyfish?

I have checked the tips section but could not see anything, i suddenly thought, will there be many jellyfish in sharm in may? I will not be diving, just shallow water and perhaps a littleswim off the jetties in sharks bay area. Thanks

Nottingham, United...
Destination Expert
for Sharm El Sheikh
Level Contributor
1,879 posts
130 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Jellyfish?

As frequent visitors in most months of the year we have found March to be the worst time of year but saying that we have had many March visits with not a single one seen.

Edited: 04 April 2013, 22:04
LIVERPOOL
Level Contributor
678 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Jellyfish?

On our visit to shark which was in may we did see quite a few but they don't sting they're like a pinky colour and the locals picked them up to prove that they didn't sting

England, United...
Level Contributor
2,409 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Jellyfish?

I have seen jellyfish in March, April, May and even October.

Mostly they are the fat pale purple ones which are completely harmless, they do not sting but some people find it off putting swimming through them. But don't worry, they really don't hurt you!

If you see a crazy person walking along the beachfront in Naama Bay picking up stranded jelly fish and placing them back in the sea that's me. :)

La Herradura, Spain
Destination Expert
for Sharm El Sheikh
Level Contributor
3,402 posts
162 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Jellyfish?

I don't remember seeing them in the summer but have seen them in October and at Easter time. As others have said, they are not harmful but they do freak me out and I don't like swimming near them.

MM you are very brave picking them up!

England, United...
Level Contributor
2,409 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Jellyfish?

Lol Roller girl, the pale purpley ones do not sting! Honest!

I agree it is odd swimming through lots of them, they seem to just drift with the tides though, so if you see them one day, they might not be there the next day.

The good thing about having jellyfish in the sea is that so many people wimp out from swimming through them you will find the sea lovely and peaceful to snorkel in!! :)

Swansea, United...
Destination Expert
for Sharm El Sheikh
Level Contributor
9,975 posts
50 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Jellyfish?

MM you are naughty! LOL I seen them at a few different times of the year and as the others have said, they are harmless

Regards

barbarah

Berkhamsted, United...
Level Contributor
1,451 posts
198 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Jellyfish?

We've been here for a week now and suddenly, on Wednesday, loads came into the shallows - pinky, purple ones, didn't appear to sting. They've now disappeared again.

Gloucestershire.
Destination Expert
for Sharm El Sheikh
Level Contributor
1,414 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Jellyfish?

Good to hear - we arrive next Sunday ...... the last time we came at this time of the year there were 100's washed up on the beach ;( Hoping not to have a repeat of it this time !!!!!

Norwich, United...
Level Contributor
829 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Jellyfish?

I am staying in Sharm between Ras Nasrani & Sharks bay at he moment & over the last two weeks there have been a number of stings from jelly fish floating in the water. The jellyfish are not the large purple harmless ones but quite small ones with long trailing stings like threads with red dots which float in the water after fish have eaten the main bodies & are hard to see . It depends on your own reaction as I get red weals on my arms from the stings but my wife is immune. The stings can be unpleasant but will respond to treatment with lemon juice or vinegar & fade after a couple of days. 12barbluesman

Edited: 07 April 2013, 08:17
10. Re: Jellyfish?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 09 April 2014, 05:15
Get answers to your questions about Sharm El Sheikh