We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Mossies - sultan gardens

England
Level Contributor
153 posts
22 reviews
Save Topic
Mossies - sultan gardens

Only just over four weeks to go but one slight cloud on my holiday horizon - mossies. Despite my best efforts the last few of my hols have been marred by the fact that Mosquitos seem to like me and I have a bad reaction to the bites. I have tried all the remedies often quoted - vitamin b supps, marmite, Avon skin so soft, anti histamines, deet based mossie spray, yet I still seem to get bitten and have a reaction to the bites so that I feel like I am referred to as the lady with all the bites....... Do I just accept it will be more of the same or is there a chance I really can avoid getting bitten at the Sultan Gardens? Is there some local deterrent that I should try? HELP............

Birmingham, United...
Level Contributor
3,729 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Mossies - sultan gardens

Oh dear poor you, have you tried garlic capsules, start taking them at least 2 weeks before you go - sorry i dont know if they work lol its just one of many things that i have seen recomended.

You can buy local stuff i think its called OFF which is meant to be good.......

Deet based products are meant to be the best but when i tried that, it was like they attracted the mozzies more!! lol. .

I'm also told tea tree products or citronella oil is good to deter them, so i take tea tree shampoo and conditioner.....and put a dab of citronella on the back of my legs

Essex
Level Contributor
116 posts
75 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Mossies - sultan gardens

Naughty but nice , is spot on when she recommends tea tree oil. A small bottle from a chemist and dab it on your pulse points (like perfume) and remember too dab some behind your knees too. Its one of the very few essential oils you can apply direct to the skin (so im told) ........... but it really works, mossies will not come near you.

Its also really good for preventing children getting head lice, (for the interested) . Happy Holidays.

Taunton, United...
Destination Expert
for Makadi Bay
Level Contributor
881 posts
48 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Mossies - sultan gardens

When I went in August, I didn't see or hear a single mozzie, nor did I hear of anyone getting bitten. It seems it all depends on the time of year that you're there. I know the management use a professional pest control company to try to keep the insect population down, but nature is nature...

Edited: 10 May 2013, 08:56
Liverpool
Level Contributor
446 posts
109 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Mossies - sultan gardens

You could try 'Eucalyptus and Citrus Oil spray'. This was recommended to me when I travelled to the Dominican republic. I bought it on Amazon and the reviews were very positive. It appeared to work for me, but I cannot swear it will work for everyone. Perhaps its worth a try considering you have tried other options? Hope this helps and you enjoy your hols.

England
Level Contributor
153 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Mossies - sultan gardens

Thank you all. I shall get myself some tea tree oil and some garlic capsules and hope that it does the trick this time. I will also take a plug in for the room. The most annoying thing is my Husband never gets bitten so I get his share of the bites too!!!

burnley
Level Contributor
379 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Mossies - sultan gardens

Have you tried a none scented deodorant its said that mossies' are more attracted to scent. I always take a bottle of VIC vapour rub I put it on the back of my ears and my ankles I know it sounds daft but last year it worked for the four of us. I don't mean instead of deodorant. Anyway I hope this helps you .john.

Liverpool
Level Contributor
446 posts
109 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Mossies - sultan gardens

I wonder if it is that Vic vapour rub has a Eucalyptus component in its ingredients?? I've just found some information that stated that certain indigenous natives have always used eucalyptus for this purpose.

burnley
Level Contributor
379 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Mossies - sultan gardens

You have probably hit the nail on the head joesLiverpool. Tiger balm is used a lot in Asia and it has a smell of Vic or eucalyptus. John.

wales
Level Contributor
555 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Mossies - sultan gardens

Hi

When I went in March to the Sultan Gardens I took jungle extra strength spray with me!! Still got bitten but after couple of days started spraying the mozzies with it instead, DEADLY!!!

Believe they have a pharmacy there that give an injection for mozzies??? May be wrong, just something I overheard one day??

S S W

La Herradura, Spain
Destination Expert
for Sharm El Sheikh
Level Contributor
3,402 posts
200 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Mossies - sultan gardens

The only true deterrent for those prone to mossie bites is a DEET based one. Both me and daughter have ended up at docs with adverse reactions to bites. Only thing that works for us is OFF spray which we buy in Sharm . It costs about £3 from a pharmacy and is very effective.

Get answers to your questions about Sharm El Sheikh