We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

booking thru hotel A LOT dearer

Kent
Level Contributor
7,065 posts
64 reviews
Save Topic
booking thru hotel A LOT dearer

hi, been looking for hotel for january, have prices from travel republic and sunshine, and also got prices from the hotel which are double!! how can a third party be so much cheaper, eg luxury AI superior room from TR is £624 for 2 people yet the hotel is £1252. as it states on TR the room allocated is there a chance i could get to the hotel and not get what i booked?? thanks for any input

Steigenberger Alcazar
Steigenberger Alcazar
#1 of 33 hotels in Nabq Bay
Stella Di Mare Beach Hotel & Spa
Stella Di Mare Beach Hotel & Spa
#2 of 232 hotels in Sharm El Sheikh
Sol Y Mar Naama Bay
Sol Y Mar Naama Bay
#6 of 232 hotels in Sharm El Sheikh
wales
Level Contributor
555 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: booking thru hotel A LOT dearer

Hi lorrabell

I've never understood how ppl have managed to book hotel direct& flights cheaper??? Whenever I've tried, like you, I have found the hotel is way dearer than the website for flight& hotel??

So not just me then??

S S W

Birmingham, United...
Level Contributor
3,732 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: booking thru hotel A LOT dearer

The tour operators and companies like Travel Rep etc block book rooms so they can get them at a cheaper price....doesn't always work out cheaper...but can do.

Kent
Level Contributor
7,065 posts
64 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: booking thru hotel A LOT dearer

i usually book flights and hotel seperately, but not direct with hotel, usually with companies like travel republic, sunshine, lowcost ect, and it works out cheaper than booking with thomsons ect, but the hotel direct price is so much dearer that i find it hard to believe i'm gonna get the same room thru travel republic when they r=are half the price

Preston, United...
Level Contributor
23 posts
40 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: booking thru hotel A LOT dearer

If you book through a tour operator it will generally be cheaper as they book a block of rooms for any one date. They then sell this off to customers and make a nice profit. Booking through the hotel depends on their personal availability - if they don't have many rooms they will charge a higher price as opposed to when the hotel is nearly empty.

But of course it depends on the individual hotel :)

Arroyo de la Miel...
Level Contributor
3,872 posts
228 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: booking thru hotel A LOT dearer

Even upgrading is cheaper to book with the tour operator than the Hotel.

We asked directly at Reception if we could book with them for our next visit and they said it would be more expensive that way, so we came home and re booked!

London, United...
Level Contributor
3,764 posts
103 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: booking thru hotel A LOT dearer

We book hotel and flights separately but book hotels through TravelRepublic or Alpharooms, however, when we got to our hotel this March we decided to upgrade from half board to all inclusive because we didn't know that half board meant that no beverages at all were included with meals, no teas, coffees, or juice etc., we just figured that seeing as all inclusive was so cheap through Alpharooms that we might as well go for it but when we paid it directly to the hotel we paid double what other people had paid for all inclusive and we don't even drink alcohol it was just a case of getting beverages with our meals and soft drinks near the pool.

So beware, if you change your mind when at the hotel you pay through the nose for it.

Lancashire, United...
Destination Expert
for Playa Blanca
Level Contributor
38,923 posts
61 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: booking thru hotel A LOT dearer

The large tour operators have rooms on contract. The online travel agents eg Travel Republic, On the Beach etc book their accommodation through a third party bed bank. Too many middle men involved there for my liking. The main problem is when the hotel overbooks (as they do) they bump guests who have got cheap rates through the OTAs, not their direct bookers who pay rack rates.

Plenty of complaints threads on TA about people who have been informed a few days before travel that the hotel has been overbooked, with very little left available at a reasonable price at that stage. It's a risk you run when you book all the elements separately, unless you book direct with the hotel.

Kent
Level Contributor
7,065 posts
64 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: booking thru hotel A LOT dearer

as i'm not going til jan i don't think it's gonna be overbooked, and the hotel wanted £38 each per day to upgrade from AI to luxury AI, i could never eat and drink that much extra in a day,

London, United...
Level Contributor
491 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: booking thru hotel A LOT dearer

Hi everyone, i`ve booked for 3 weeks in nov/dec, i`ve booked hotel and flights seperately,and am now slightly worried,after reading leyland sunaddicts post,about people who have booked cheap hols,that they ge bumped ?. I have booked a cheap hol through t.rep,so is their anything i could have in place in case this happens to me. regards

Aylesbury, United...
Level Contributor
187 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: booking thru hotel A LOT dearer

I've booked flights and hotel separately for the last 10 visits to Sharm, I've used hotels 4u, travel republic etc for booking hotels. On average I've saved over £150 per person, last year I paid £250 for seven nights at the Hilton fayrouz in Naama bay, the flight cost me about £300. If I'd booked this as a package it would of cost me £750. Never had a problem with any of the hotels, usually pay less that £20 for private return transfers for two people.

Mentioned in this post
Na'ama Bay
Na'ama Bay
3,852 Reviews
Sharm El Sheikh, Egypt
Get answers to your questions about Sharm El Sheikh