We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

A unique situation

Inverness, United...
Level Contributor
185 posts
140 reviews
Save Topic
A unique situation

As above.

I am due to head to Sharm on 7/9 and can't wait.

I decided to do a bit of disaster prep for worst case scenario and emailed the company I booked with, with all my concerns ect.

It must of been a powerful email as I got a response which was followed up via a phonecall today.

Stating that as a good will gesture as I have used them a few times I can

1 - Cancel my trip for a FULL refund

2 - Change to another destination FOC

They would like me to let them know in the next 72hrs.

Now I am unsure. There is one other place I would like to go and thats Tunisia BUT my heart and head still wants me to go to Egypt.

Now what do I do.

1 - The original holiday I booked has come down in price by around £100

So do i cancel and immediatley rebook?

2 - Cut my losses and be thankful they have offered me a change and book somewhere else and try Egypt maybe next year if all is better.

I am yet to only read 1 negative issue with sharm in regards to the violence and that was a curfew which i believe was only for 24 or 48hrs.

I need help as both our hearts are set on Sharm......

London, United...
Level Contributor
608 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: A unique situation

You emailed with your concerns and were given a "get out clause" so to speak.

If you weren't concerned in the 1st place then you wouldn't have sent that email surely.

Do what your heart tells you. Only you can decide.

Inverness, United...
Level Contributor
185 posts
140 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: A unique situation

Yea I was just preparing for the worst.

I don't know if to just cut my losses and back out.....

My only concern is a curfew if I am honest and trouble that could follow.

Edited: 19 August 2013, 18:14
Level Contributor
494 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: A unique situation

Well we are going with two kids and will only change that plan if FCO changes status. I've only heard good things re Sharm since this all kicked off. However, we are not planning on leaving the hotel/resort grounds but planned that anyway before all this. Sun, sea, beach, snorkeling and eating and drinking!' Fab!

Glasgow, United...
Level Contributor
206 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: A unique situation

Curfew was not for long Connor, and your resort might b that big you don't leave, we were only gonna go to Nammbay tbh but if we don't we don't just do what you :-)

Accrington, United...
Level Contributor
1,695 posts
141 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: A unique situation

We are jetting off on the 25th and cannot wait. Only if the FO changes then we obviously won't be travelling. If I was you I'd still go but a lot could happen between now and your departure date, things which could be beyond your control.

Manchester
Level Contributor
554 posts
91 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: A unique situation

Just remember if a civil war happens, Sharm or not, you will be removed from the country and this could be on day 1 of your holiday if you are unlucky! So it's not just a case of, is Sharm safe or not!

Barrow-in-Furness...
Level Contributor
330 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: A unique situation

At the risk of being harranged I would still go if your heart is set on it. I would, but you are not me. Just perhaps be more aware that the staff who are working may be affected by the troubles, lost family etc.

I know that some people are saying that we are being very insensitive given how many people have lost their lives, in continuing with a holiday but I really do wonder how it would help by staying away. As I understand it lots of Egyptians from Cairo and surrounding areas go to Sharm to earn a living to support their families.

This too is probably going to get me some stick, but 2 days before I was due to fly out to Mexico the FCO changed their advice and we were cancelled (yes I know its not quite the same) when Swine Flu hit. I found that much more scary in the fact that it was something airborne that you couldn't see or avoid, shops, beaches, restaurants etc were all closed, trips cancelled and you had to stay in your hotel. Sharm isn't shut.

Kent
Level Contributor
6,300 posts
62 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: A unique situation

if they have been good enough to let you cancel i think it's taking the mickey to cancel then re book just to save £100, if your really worried about going then fair enough but not to ger a refund and book again

Kingston-upon-Hull...
Level Contributor
3,824 posts
60 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: A unique situation

if they have been good enough to let you cancel i think it's taking the mickey to cancel then re book just to save £100,

But Connor M is from Scotland ;-)

Inverness, United...
Level Contributor
185 posts
140 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: A unique situation

I understand what your saying but its all about "me" if I can save myself some money I will. I

I am not lucky enough that £100 can just be flung away if that makes sense, a chance of saving any money will be welcomed. Remember that when i called them with my concerns they were very rude and quite cheeky when I was not being IRATE but thats besides the point and not what this topic is about.

We are thinking of cancelling and rebooking 1week before as we will have more of an idea of the situation then i.e if its got better or worse. It is Egypt we want to go aswell.

Get answers to your questions about Sharm El Sheikh