We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

First time snorkelers!

Beverley
Level Contributor
32 posts
Save Topic
First time snorkelers!

Me and my partner are arriving on Thursday for our first holiday in Sharm, very excited, only booked last week! I am keen to try some snorkelling as heard its a must! Would it be best to buy some stuff before we go, I have a mask and snorkel but not my partner. Also reef shoes?? Or can you get stuff easily out there? I am not the strongest of swimmer so are floats/jackets available? We are staying at the holiday village. Any help would be great! Thanks in advance.

essex
Level Contributor
56 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: First time snorkelers!

Hi Chick-Chick. It's really up to you if you buy before you go or decide to buy in Sharm. If you're staying in a town I don't think it's possible to walk more than 50 ft without passing a shop which sells them! You will be spoilt for choice! If you want the British safety standards it would be wise to buy here, but we've never had a problem with any we have bought there. It saves space in your suitcase and it supports local shops. The snorkelling really is amazing. I'm not the best swimmer either, but I never use any floats and have always felt safe. We buy our shoes out there and throw them away at the end of the holiday, they are very cheap. So jealous of you right now! Have a brilliant holiday.

Taunton, United...
Destination Expert
for Makadi Bay
Level Contributor
881 posts
48 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: First time snorkelers!

I'm not a strong swimmer, and find using fins really, really helps you stay afloat and move about.

Romford, United...
Level Contributor
660 posts
192 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: First time snorkelers!

Ooooo great tip about the shoes.

:-)

Manchester
Level Contributor
574 posts
92 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: First time snorkelers!

If snorkelling from the shore then don't worry about a life jacket. If you go on a boat trip, they will provide you with one so no worries about being out in the deep! Snorkelling in Sharm is AMAZING

England, United...
Destination Expert
for Hurghada, Sharm El Sheikh, Red Sea and Sinai
Level Contributor
3,856 posts
106 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: First time snorkelers!

Due to the amount of salt in the sea you will float anyway but if you aren't the strongest of swimmers i'd say stay out of the water if it is windy as it can blow you off course quite quickly.

Sport Direct sell snorkelling masks and water shoes too. If your hotel has a jetty i wouldn't bother buying shoes you only need those if you are planning on walking out to snorkel.

I'd get kitted out before you go and then you don't have to worry about it when you get there and can get straight out to sea:)

England
Level Contributor
708 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: First time snorkelers!

Hi

Fins will substantially increase your swimming speed.

There are plenty of large, hungry Sharks in the Red Sea - it astounds me that people go in the sea without wearing fins.

Ian

Kent
Destination Expert
for Egypt
Level Contributor
4,625 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: First time snorkelers!

Yes, those sharks, they are soooo fast.

Beverley
Level Contributor
32 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: First time snorkelers!

Thanks for all the info, really useful! Will try get another snorkel set here then I think, and just see if we need anything else when we get there. Really excited now!

Kent, England
Level Contributor
4,471 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: First time snorkelers!

From someone who has spent hours snorkeling.....

I heavily advise going to a dive shop and getting a mask that fits properly. They don't all fit the same and nothing is going to ruin it, or make you panic more than a face full of water. I still have the mask I bought when I learn to dive back in 2009, a decent one will last years.

Those cheap sets are crazy uncomfortable.

Please be careful if you aren't a strong swimmer, obviously your own safety is paramount but please do be aware of your surroundings too, some species of coral only grow about 1cm a year and a swift accidental kick can undo years of growth.

County Durham
Level Contributor
108 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: First time snorkelers!

Hi

Try and get a mask that is silicon they are much better and fins will aid you when swimming , I always buy mine in Uk and take out , I use Mikes diving on ebay

Enjoy :)

Get answers to your questions about Sharm El Sheikh