We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Hilton Sharks Bay - 5th September

Which Sharm El Sheikh hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Level Contributor
17 posts
Save Topic
Hilton Sharks Bay - 5th September

Very excited, only two sleeps left! Got a free upgrade too as they've closed the 'old side'. That was a touch because I was originally paying for the upgrade anyway!

My main worry is the whole visa situation. I'll go through the airport with the intention not to buy one and come out the other end with 6... Any tips for me?!

Newcastle upon...
Level Contributor
318 posts
70 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Hilton Sharks Bay - 5th September

When you go through the arrival doors, turn right and just go the passport control, if you are not leaving Sharm which I doubt you will be, you do not need a Visa, I have been to the Hilton Sharks Bay 3 times now, so any questions please ask.

Level Contributor
17 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Hilton Sharks Bay - 5th September

I'm not at all. I did check everything and the bits and pieces I want to do are all within Sharm. I've seen if I want to go to Ras Mohammed I'll need one, but I'll look into a bit more to see whether I actually will go or not.

Oh really? I may end up grilling you. I will ask though, what did you specifically tip to people ie, room cleaners, waiters etc. I tend to just give any amount and don't want to be seen to be giving too much or not enough. Sorry if it's a personal question, I just want to do everything right :)

Newcastle upon...
Level Contributor
318 posts
70 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Hilton Sharks Bay - 5th September

This is different for everyone, some tip in $ some in £'s and some in LE, however I have always given tips in the Egyptian LE as then they have the money straight away, and again people give different amounts for tips, I usually tip the following, the guy who brings your bag about 5LE per bag, your room guy, about 10LE a night and usually another tip at the end of my stay depending on the service which I have always found very good, waiters about 10LE per meal, the person who always got the most for me was the pool boy, I tipped him every day and he would always get us the same 2 sunbeds, but remember its up to you what you tip and if you want to tip - Have a fab time

Level Contributor
17 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Hilton Sharks Bay - 5th September

Oh that's great! Thank you for coming back to me. People usually give me obscure answers and I needed the figures, so thank you!

I have changed up some money here, but they're big notes so I'll have to possibly tip in £1 coins until I get some smaller Egyptian currency, unless I go around tipping 100 and 200 notes.

I think it's 10x more to the £, well nearly. So if need be, to every 10LE I'd want to tip, I could tip £1?

Newcastle upon...
Level Contributor
318 posts
70 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Hilton Sharks Bay - 5th September

I am not sure but I don't think they like £1 coins as they are hard to exchange, $1 are ok

United Kingdom
Destination Expert
for Sharm El Sheikh, Red Sea and Sinai, Side
Level Contributor
20,154 posts
183 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Hilton Sharks Bay - 5th September

Hi,

Please don't tip in £1 coins; they can't change them easily & have to ask tourists to change them into notes.

Top Q, over on the right, explains about currency, tipping & suggested amounts for tipping.

tripadvisor.co.uk/Travel-g297555-c95848/Shar…

Regards

Birmingham, United...
Level Contributor
3,721 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Hilton Sharks Bay - 5th September

they love 1 US$ dollar bills, get a load from the post office before you fly out

enjoy

Kent
Destination Expert
for Egypt
Level Contributor
4,517 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Hilton Sharks Bay - 5th September

Naughty, they love LE more.

Level Contributor
17 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Hilton Sharks Bay - 5th September

Ok thanks guys!

I'll just have to wait until I get there and see what small notes I can get at the airport then. Problem being is I don't really see the point in me changing sterling for dollars as well as LE.

I just hope that I get small notes before I get to the airport otherwise they'll be without a tip altogether if I can't give £1 coins.

So many people told me I could do that until I got smaller LE notes.

porthcawl uk
Level Contributor
1,367 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Hilton Sharks Bay - 5th September

Could anyone advise on how many bars/restaurants remain open in the day and evening ? Thanks. Also from anyone just returning, what are staffing levels like ? Does it really take 10 minutes to get a drink ? Thanks

Get answers to your questions about Sharm El Sheikh