We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

snorkel set and fins [ prices in sharm]

London, United...
Level Contributor
67 posts
Save Topic
snorkel set and fins [ prices in sharm]

Hi Al,

I am thinking of leaving my snorkel set at home as I only have limited wait allowance to travel.

What is the cost ofa good set of fins and snorkel set in sharm.

Thanks

Kent, England
Level Contributor
4,471 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: snorkel set and fins [ prices in sharm]

If you already have a set, that fits well, I would make room for it.

I take mine in my hand luggage always, it literally weighs a few pounds. Mind you, on our recent 11 night trip to Thailand we only had 25kgs between us.......I have no idea what people put in their cases to make them so heavy!

Arroyo de la Miel...
Level Contributor
3,618 posts
212 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: snorkel set and fins [ prices in sharm]

Toiletries Jody! They always weigh a lot lol.

Paul, if I had room I'd pack my own snorkel set. Last time it went in my hand luggage,

La Herradura, Spain
Destination Expert
for Sharm El Sheikh
Level Contributor
3,402 posts
173 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: snorkel set and fins [ prices in sharm]

If you have a good one take it with you - it's worth it for the Red Sea.

London, United...
Level Contributor
67 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: snorkel set and fins [ prices in sharm]

thanks for the tips, I thought they would be cheap as chips out there!!,

Only got 15kg, allowance, and my partner thinks im carrying her strainers and dryer, lol , so that's the portable salon left at home !!,

cheers to al,

Arroyo de la Miel...
Level Contributor
3,618 posts
212 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: snorkel set and fins [ prices in sharm]

Paul, more than likely there will be an hair drier in your room/bathroom and my oh usually leaves straighteners/curlers at home.

London, United...
Level Contributor
67 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: snorkel set and fins [ prices in sharm]

Ccrystal.

I have this problem every time we are away, there is dryer etc in room but she likes to have her with here!!!

If I put the old foot down , I will be left at home not the salon lol

If we are over wait, she can ware me fins and snorkel on the plane lol.

When you next at sharm ?

Kent, England
Level Contributor
4,471 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: snorkel set and fins [ prices in sharm]

I don't think I stay out of the water long enough for my hair to even dry!

I think the most my case has ever weighed was about 14kg, and that was with my BCD and Regs! I clearly have this light packing thing down on an art, maybe I should write an article on my blog about it lol

Arroyo de la Miel...
Level Contributor
3,618 posts
212 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: snorkel set and fins [ prices in sharm]

May all being well ;-)

UK
Destination Expert
for North Wales
Level Contributor
4,799 posts
59 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: snorkel set and fins [ prices in sharm]

I agree take a carry on that will fit your fins inside.

There are plenty of dive shops but I don't think they will be cheap as chips, well not for serious fins and mask.Besides if you are staying in a hotel that is right on the sea you don't wantto lose holiday time schlepping about looking for gear. Some of the stuff I saw some people using looked a bit like kiddies toy quality

TBH everyone packs too much clothes and shoes, perhaps dump some stuff in favour of the fins.and put them in your checked bag.

You don't need any clothes when snorkelling!

Perhaps hire a set of fins from the hotel or dive school.

I stayed at a hotel with its own jetty and the lifeguards rented masks, snorkels and fins.

Whilst I wouldn't be that keen on using a snorkel I wouldn't be bothered using rented fins and that could save you weight if you didnt take your fins.

Also on a few days I went in without fins and still managed some good sessions, just depends how far you want to swim .often there is a lot to see within say twenty metres radius. So fins not absolutely necessary.

Enjoy , best snorkelling anywhere

Edited: 24 February 2014, 06:44
Cairo, Egypt
Level Contributor
502 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: snorkel set and fins [ prices in sharm]

I have to also strongly advise to take your own snorkel set with you.

Especially if just the mask and snorkel as they are personal items which one gets used to - just like a toothbrush.

If you don't - you will lose too much time shopping round for a set that fits snugly and then more time getting used to it..

If you do have to buy one, ( you forgot yours at home ), then head to a dive centre as they sell good quality stuff - in the souvenir and other shops you will find cheaper sets but often they are really poor in quality. I have just phoned a dive centre and they have good Mares sets of a mask and snorkel priced at Euro 46.00

Get answers to your questions about Sharm El Sheikh