We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Sharm El Sheikh Airport

Which Sharm El Sheikh hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Newcastle upon...
Level Contributor
162 posts
19 reviews
Save Topic
Sharm El Sheikh Airport

Hi, We used this airport for the first time yesterday....It was a total shambles, Is it always this bad? At first the conveyor belts were off at check in, no ones bag was being weighed (probably the first time 'Ive ever been under weight!) the bags were being left in the queue at check in, you were handed your luggage label and then had to label them yourselves. You had multiple luggage for multiple airports just lying in the check in area. The departure lounge is overpriced and under staffed. The staff they did have were unhelpful. The prices were in US dollars! The toilets were a disgrace. We then had multiple flights leaving from the same gate, there was an issue with our boarding cards and we left the gate to the first bus. Luckily for us someone spotted we had boarded the wrong bus, we were on the bus to the Russian flight! Suppose this happens a lot if you have more than one flight leaving form the same gate. The plane was then delayed because they found 15 bags that should of been on our flight still in the airport! (didn't see that one coming! haha )

Windsor, United...
Level Contributor
2,063 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Sharm El Sheikh Airport

Hi Fiona L

Sounds fun!!!!

Sharm airport is not the best admittedly but in the many times I've been through there its never been this bad.

I take it your cases also arrived back with you :-)

NaNa

Newcastle upon...
Level Contributor
162 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Sharm El Sheikh Airport

Luckily Yes! But they were first off....so I have a sneaky feeling they must of been two of the 15! Never mind, we are home safely so no harm done...just a bit chaotic at the time....:)

Southport, United...
Level Contributor
590 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Sharm El Sheikh Airport

Never had a problem at Sharm in twelve years. Normally the fun starts when we land back in the UK, first the miserable sods on passport control followed by an hours wait for my bags.

Think I'm just unlucky!

Bridgend, United...
Level Contributor
452 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Sharm El Sheikh Airport

I think this just about sums the Airport up most of the time I've been there but you get used to it apart from the toilets 😄

Arroyo de la Miel...
Level Contributor
3,431 posts
192 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Sharm El Sheikh Airport

Oh crikey, sounds like you were in a right pickle! Thankfully, we've usually gone through Sharm airport without incident previously!

Hope you had a lovely holiday!

Newcastle upon...
Level Contributor
162 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Sharm El Sheikh Airport

Yeah luckily we were totally chilled out as we got to the airport.....and luckily we didn't end up in Russia! x

staffs
Level Contributor
859 posts
55 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Sharm El Sheikh Airport

Think there has been a big problem there with all the rain on Sunday(flooded) maybe this is the problem.We were also taken to the wrong plane once by the coach driver lol.

Newcastle upon...
Level Contributor
162 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Sharm El Sheikh Airport

The rain on Sunday was dreadful.....think the conveyor belt at arrivals was the main hold up but our experience didn't get any better lol.....Im so grateful to the lady who got us off that bus! The way things were going we would of ended up in Moscow! x

Crewe, United...
2 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Sharm El Sheikh Airport

On one of our trips to sharm (been there 6 times) there was a guy standing outside the toilet area handing ladies a piece of toilet paper to use when it was their turn in the disgusting cubicle - not put us off going again though !

London, United...
Level Contributor
666 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Sharm El Sheikh Airport

It's not the best, but I've never heard of anyone being bused to the wrong plane before. Ekk !

Being charge for a sheet of toilet paper is standard, but they never catch people twice as most are too disgusted to ever use the loos again.

All Egyptian airports charge in US dollars, same as the duty free shops in the resorts, the Egyptian government need hard currency, also the FX rate to both LE and sterling is appalling - shame really as I am sure people would spend more if they didn't feel like they were being ripped off.

Get answers to your questions about Sharm El Sheikh