We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

sharm el sheikh, canaries or cyprus in october help???

Which Sharm El Sheikh hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Letchworth, United...
Level Contributor
35 posts
5 reviews
Save Topic
sharm el sheikh, canaries or cyprus in october help???

hi I am new to this site....myself and 2 friends are planning a 7 night break in October but we are really stuck on where to go love the idea of sharm weather diving etc but a bit wary about the recent troubles and the mentioning of being ill and just us 3 going alone there would people that have been recommend it or should we go to the canaries/Cyprus all opinions welcome x

Sheffield, England...
14 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: sharm el sheikh, canaries or cyprus in october help???

Sharm gets my vote. The troubles do worry some people but as most on here would tell you, it feels as safe as anywhere else. As for the illness, everyone else has their own reason or opinion but I've been 4 times and never had any illness or upset stomach. So I believe aslong as you are careful, ie bottled water, wash your hands, keep hydrated, then it's just the same as any other foreign country.

St Helens, United...
Level Contributor
147 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: sharm el sheikh, canaries or cyprus in october help???

Def a vote for Sharm. We've been 2 or 3 times a year for past few years and never had a problem, trouble or health wise. Keep well hydrated, drink lots of water during the day not beer, you'll be fine :-)

Kent
Destination Expert
for Egypt
Level Contributor
4,452 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: sharm el sheikh, canaries or cyprus in october help???

Hi Laura, personally I would choose Egypt, October is the ideal time to go, IMO. The sea will be at about its warmest, the air temps will cool off in the evening, and it won't be too hot during the day.

London
Level Contributor
1,426 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: sharm el sheikh, canaries or cyprus in october help???

Sharm, all day long.

North Walsham...
Level Contributor
851 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: sharm el sheikh, canaries or cyprus in october help???

Tough choice. The Canaries and Cyprus have good warm weather that time of year, so good if you want a beach holiday. Both have a good party scene, or more laid back areas.

Sharm gets my vote though - more reliable sun and MUCH better snorkelling and diving (and cheaper).

it depends what you want from your holiday.

West Yorkshire...
Level Contributor
147 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: sharm el sheikh, canaries or cyprus in october help???

Sharm no brainer

Letchworth, United...
Level Contributor
35 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: sharm el sheikh, canaries or cyprus in october help???

Yeah ideally we want to be able to sunbathe get a tan and relax is there much to do outside of your hotel? And any recommendations where to stay? X

Arroyo de la Miel...
Level Contributor
3,431 posts
192 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: sharm el sheikh, canaries or cyprus in october help???

Sharm in October would get my vote too for three friends and Laura A, welcome to the forum.

Ask as many questions as you wish!

Windsor, United...
Level Contributor
2,063 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: sharm el sheikh, canaries or cyprus in october help???

Guess what my vote also goes to Sharm........

If you are looking for a lively nightlife I would look around Naama Bay as this has more to offer. If you just want sun, rest and relaxation I would look at Nabq or Sharks Bay.

Hope this helps with your decision

NaNa

P T
Liverpool, United...
Level Contributor
657 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: sharm el sheikh, canaries or cyprus in october help???

If you ask the same question on the Cyprus forum you'll mostly get people recommending Cyprus the same goes for Tenerife , Gran Canaria, Fuerteventura etc.

I've been to Sharm many times but only go in our mid winter because the Egyptian weather is better than most other popular destinations within a 5ish hour flight.

I've been to the Canaries many times in October & November and I would prefer there over Egypt without hesitation.

Its just nicer in the canaries without all the hassles from shopkeepers, taxi drivers , bus drivers and no matter what people say Sharm is grotty and dirty!

Edited: 18 March 2014, 15:53
Get answers to your questions about Sharm El Sheikh