We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Money

London, United...
4 posts
Save Topic
Money

Hi All

Was wondering how much money you would suggest taking to Sharm for one week? We are staying All Inclusive but would like to perhaps do a boat trip/ quad biking, some shopping for presents and maybe a handbag or two, and also tips?

All advice appreciated, I am new so hope I have posted correctly and in the right place !

London, United...
Level Contributor
3,478 posts
95 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Money

My advice would be to take English money with you and change it using money changing machines that are situated in banks and hotels, the exchange rate is much better, the machine is just like an ATM over here, you insert you English currency and it spits out Egyptian pounds, this eliminates the chances of paying bank charges for using your debit card, though of course you can use your card if you prefer, there are plenty of ATMs in Sharm for his purpose.

As for how much to take, it depends how much you can afford, I would suggest a couple of hundred and see how it goes, personally this would be more than enough for us but then everyone is different.

Your call I'm afraid.

Aylesbury
Level Contributor
470 posts
77 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Money

Hi Ayesha. I totally agree with munroeessex: take sterling with you and change it over there. The rate is about 10% better compared to the rate you will get in the UK. Just one thing to add though - it's a good idea to take some small LE notes (1s, 5s and 10s) with you to use as tips until you get to a machine. Banks and Post Offices over here only deal in 50 LE notes minimum, though, so your best bet is to try a branch of Thomson which has a currency exchange booth, as some people coming back from Egypt change their remaining LEs to Sterling and you should be able to get some low denomination notes. Personally I always save what's left to use next time, but everyone's different.

Have a great holiday

Simon B

West Kelowna, Canada
Level Contributor
1,432 posts
40 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Money

Egypt no longer uses a 1 EGL note. They only use 1 EGL coins. The smallest note that you should be able to pick up in the UK is the 5 EGL.

London, United...
4 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Money

Thank you simon that's good info to know

Windsor, United...
Level Contributor
2,063 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Money

Hi Ayesha

I also agree with monroe, however slightly disagree with Simon B in as much as I have got small nomination notes froim the UK Post Office.

NaNa

London, United...
Level Contributor
3,478 posts
95 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Money

If you get larger denominations when withdrawing Egyptian money you can try taking it to the hotel reception staff who might be able to change it down for you, we did this a couple of times to give tips to hotel staff and for paying for bits and bobs from shops who often don't have change for very large notes.

btw, a bit off topic NANA, but when do you jet off to Sharm??

Edited: 21 March 2014, 18:25
Blackpool, United...
Level Contributor
349 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Money

dont forget ur hand sanitizer after handling the money ! lol

8. Re: Money

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 24 March 2015, 04:51