We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Star gazing cancelled! :-(

Chatham, United...
Level Contributor
138 posts
51 reviews
Save Topic
Star gazing cancelled! :-(

Flying out to sharm in 4 weeks and got a call today to say the FCO have pulled all excursions that go into the desert so we can't do the star gazing now :-( so gutted as all our friends have said this is amazing! Bit worried that means the trouble is getting closer to sharm though as was told the star gazing is literally on the outskirts close to sharm so should be no trouble there?!

Burnley UK
Level Contributor
369 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Star gazing cancelled! :-(

Is that with your travel firm ? As far as I know all local excursions are still taking place.

Contact Nicola at www.sinaiexcursions.co.uk and she'll keep you updated on everything

Chatham, United...
Level Contributor
138 posts
51 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Star gazing cancelled! :-(

Yeah I booked with Thompson. If the FCO are saying it's unsafe though and I book while out there won't be travel insurance be invalid?

And surely the FCO are saying it's unsafe for a reason?

London, United...
Level Contributor
35 posts
57 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Star gazing cancelled! :-(

Hi there

just got back from sharm,and as of last Friday the stargazing trip is still on.

but a word of warning...............it is not what it used to be.we last done this trip back in 2009 and it was amazing....1hour camel ride in desert-Bedouin camp-watch the sunset-dinner and entertainment-stargazing and the amazing blanket of stars.

we were looking forward to doing this trip again,but at the end of it I was very very disappointed,why?

.....you now drive for 10mins to a purpose built Bedouin camp,not at all authentic,where you are fed and entertained buy the same boys and girls who travel round the hotels,so we had seen some of them before.

also you are joined by all the people who booked the quad bike and dune buggy trips,so it can get very dusty when they all arrive/leave,this camp is more like a central hub for all the trips.

.....we then were given a 15min camel ride , dodging the bikes and buggies driving around.

.....there was no chance to see the sunset,as the camp is situated at the base of a large hill.

....the telescope used is a lot smaller than last time ,so it is difficult to see anything clearly,and there being only one scope it gets very crowded,it was so much better with 3 scopes.

.....the camp is located close to sharm,which means you still see the lights from town and the airport,this means the blanket of stars we saw last time is no longer visable,what you get is not much different from being back home in London.

thinking about it , I can't think of 1 positive thing to say about this trip,we will just live with the memories of the first time.

very very very disappointed punter

Chatham, United...
Level Contributor
138 posts
51 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Star gazing cancelled! :-(

Oh Keith, that's very disappointing! When we booked with Thompson they said it was a camel ride into the desert with bouduin dinner and star gazing. We paid more than we would in Egypt and maybe that's why because it isn't the same trip. Will see what the situation is out there x

Level Contributor
179 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Star gazing cancelled! :-(

We just done the 5 in 1 trip on Sunday, never once felt unsafe and they are still selling it just now. It's not as if it's right in the desert so don't understand why Thomsons are cancelling it. Trip was fab we really enjoyed it, although bit disappointed that we only got one very quick peek through the telescope!

Chatham, United...
Level Contributor
138 posts
51 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Star gazing cancelled! :-(

Thanks Keith that's reassuring. Not sure why they've cancelled, they just said FCO said it wasn't safe. Will have a look at booking when we're there then. Be cheaper too anyway x

Rotherham, United...
Level Contributor
8 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Star gazing cancelled! :-(

who did you go with?

we whent with red sea via hotel and we had

tour of the Bedouin camp via the coach, Bedouin tea and a talk, met the sheik had a 45 min camel ride, , walked up the mountain to sea the amazing sunset, walked back down to have a gorgus meal and shisha and time to reflect. then stargazing with a guide who told us all about the stars etc then a look at Saturn and the moon thro the most amazin telescope

it was such an amazing experience..

sorry you didn't enjoy it this time .

Zakopane, Poland
Level Contributor
446 posts
49 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Star gazing cancelled! :-(

Hello I will be here in September. I am intrerested in this tour sounds amazing. Is there a tour with stars and riding the quad bikes? Can you tell me what company you went with?

Thanks

Chatham, United...
Level Contributor
138 posts
51 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Star gazing cancelled! :-(

I originally booked with Thomson but it's now been cancelled so will have to book when out there so have ok idea who to book with?!

Rotherham, United...
Level Contributor
8 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Star gazing cancelled! :-(

Hi the one we whent on was The Bedouin Night

With stargazing

I'm not completely sure if they do a stargazing with quads though. Sorry

We whent thro our hotel rep via red sea holidays

But there are a few good tour operators visit the trip advisor forum

We payed £35 each and was fully insured etc..

Hope this helps

Sorry if I've not been much help

Get answers to your questions about Sharm El Sheikh