We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

egyptian sim card can anyone help ????

manchester
Level Contributor
76 posts
Save Topic
egyptian sim card can anyone help ????

hi all

we are heading to Sharm on Thursday, and I want to call home, but Vodafone have told me it will be £1.83p/min !!! can I get an Egyptian micro sim card at a cheaper rate.

I did get one a few years ago ,just took an old unlocked phone, but my iPhone is any network so would sooner use that

any help would be great

thanks and regards

kristen

Bolton, United...
Destination Expert
for Nile River Valley
Level Contributor
2,035 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: egyptian sim card can anyone help ????

Yes, you can get an Egyptian SIMM card; although I can't advise where to get one in Sharm-el-sheikh.

I paid LE150, which translates at just over £10 for a voice & data SIMM, with 4.25GB of data & international calls enabled, on arrival at Cairo International. Apparently, Vodafone Egypt reckon that this is more than enough to cover a 2 week stay.

Mentioned in this post
Sharm El Sheikh
Sharm El Sheikh
South Sinai, Egypt
Cairo
Cairo
Cairo Governorate, Egypt
Egypt
Egypt
Africa
Liverpool, United...
Level Contributor
668 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: egyptian sim card can anyone help ????

There are lots of places selling sim cards.

The official Vodafone shops are in Naama bays Pyramids mall and IL Mercato .

If you buy from the official shops you won't get charged any extra but the local shops add about 25% extra for their profits.

Naama bay also has an official Etisalat store.

Also you can find free WiFi in most bars so to save money try using Skype or Viber.

Edited: 18 August 2014, 20:16
Mentioned in this post
Il Mercato Hotel & Spa
Il Mercato Hotel & Spa
590 Reviews
Sharm El Sheikh, Egypt
Na'ama Bay
Na'ama Bay
3,835 Reviews
Sharm El Sheikh, Egypt
Belfast
Level Contributor
313 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: egyptian sim card can anyone help ????

My advice is only buy a sim from an official shop as other shops may conn you. It happened to me. Vodafone official will need your passport to register the sim on your name.

Cardiff, United...
Level Contributor
18 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: egyptian sim card can anyone help ????

Do you mean the hotel IL Mercato? Or there is vodafone shop there?

Mentioned in this post
Il Mercato Hotel & Spa
Il Mercato Hotel & Spa
590 Reviews
Sharm El Sheikh, Egypt
London, England...
Level Contributor
215 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: egyptian sim card can anyone help ????

there is a vodafone shop in the shopping area of the Mercato out of the hotel turn left and you are in the shopping area. I find vodafone expensive I use mobilini there is a shop also in the mercato

Belfast
Level Contributor
313 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: egyptian sim card can anyone help ????

Vodafone in el mercato is across the road from the main shopping mall. My sim with 3gb cost 68egp that is around £5.

New Delhi, India
Level Contributor
59 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: egyptian sim card can anyone help ????

Buy a vodafone sim card for 68LE, with 1 gb of data, and use a application called as rebtel, available both on iphone and android, to call back home. Use code FREE5, during sign up on rebtel, and pay only 1 quid to get credit of 5 quid.

calling to england is just 1p per min for landline and 10p per min for mobile. hence for payment of 5 quid for sim,and 1 quid for rebtel, you can call england mobile for around 50 mins, which should be good for 1 week.

Tokyo
Level Contributor
120 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: egyptian sim card can anyone help ????

There's a Vodafone booth right in the airport. After picking up your baggage and you go through customs , look to your far left before going outside the terminal, you'll see Vodafone there. I don't think it was any more expensive than getting the same company's SIM card downtown. Don't know their hours, I was there about 11:00am. I know some international fights come in overnight, so may not work depending on your flight time.

St Helens, United...
Level Contributor
153 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: egyptian sim card can anyone help ????

Is there a Voda shop in T1 arrivals?

10. Re: egyptian sim card can anyone help ????

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 23 August 2015, 07:16