We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Negative hotel reviews when most are very positive

Which Sharm El Sheikh hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Negative hotel reviews when most are very positive

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 30 August 2014, 18:09
Milton Keynes...
Destination Expert
for Argassi
Level Contributor
5,093 posts
74 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Negative hotel reviews when most are very positive

between the lines.I knew of a hotel that had twelve 5*ratings for last 12 reviews and because they never had a car park and the guest parked there hire merc in the side alley.He was asked to move it.The hotel explained that they needed this clear for emergrncy vehicle access etc.The guest refused to move the car.The next night on his return saw that the hotel had put the bollards up and he had to park over the road.A heated discussion was had in reception.In his review for the hotel he put dogs were allowed in the pool,cockroaches and bugs in the room,rude staff,dirty sheets on bed etc,etc.Marked the hotel 1 rating across the board.Since this review all good again.So you do get the odd post that will be by a guest deliberately trying to ruin the hotels reputation.Amazing how a couple of disgruntled guests can move what was a good reputation to a middle of the road one.

Edited: 30 August 2014, 11:13
Milton Keynes...
Destination Expert
for Argassi
Level Contributor
5,093 posts
74 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Negative hotel reviews when most are very positive

I always look for where the poster of the review lives as this generally shows if it is genuine or not.

Gloucestershire UK
Level Contributor
341 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Negative hotel reviews when most are very positive

A year or so ago a hotel in Makadi bay was getting very good and very bad reviews, the good reviews often quoted the stuff (staff) as being very good, I assume these good reviews were written or prompted by the same person.

West Midlands
Level Contributor
907 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Negative hotel reviews when most are very positive

I always find it strange for people to mark the hotel 1 or 2 because the flight was late!!! or something went wrong on the plane. What that has to do with the hotel beats me. I don't think they realise that it reduces the hotel ratings overall and is a shame.

Ossett, United...
Level Contributor
278 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Negative hotel reviews when most are very positive

I always work on averages...if a hotel has had hundreds of 5* & 4* reviews and a handful of 1*s then I tend to ignore the lower reviews.

You sometimes find its down to something the hotel had no control over, like flight delays, airport transfers, lost luggage etc.

Milton Keynes...
Destination Expert
for Argassi
Level Contributor
5,093 posts
74 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Negative hotel reviews when most are very positive

Yes amazing how someone says it was a nice hotel but because they did not like the resort they have given the hotel a low rating.How on earth is that right.

England, United...
Level Contributor
8,933 posts
76 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Negative hotel reviews when most are very positive

From some reviews I see, of places I have stayed and enjoyed, I wouldn't recognise the place as the same hotel!

Glaring inaccuracies, ridiculous complaints, sweeping, (occasionally racist) generalisations, and nasty comments about staff who I have met personally, do make me wonder about the motivation of some reviewers.

I think you need to look at a few reviews of a place, over a period of time, note the things they have in common, probably disregard the wilder, petty jibes, and thereby form a more balanced view overall.

I am always wary of 1st time posters who express extreme views, and, more often than not, are never heard from again!

Mon

North Walsham...
Level Contributor
851 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Negative hotel reviews when most are very positive

Also look at the number of reviews by the reviewer - if they have 20 reviews in 5 cities or similar, I'll give their review much more weight than if by someone with just 1 or 2 reviews

England, United...
Level Contributor
8,933 posts
76 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Negative hotel reviews when most are very positive

OP...

I've just noticed that you only joined TA today!

I wasn't in any way having a go at you, but please accept my apologies if I caused any offence....

Mon

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
106 posts
160 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Negative hotel reviews when most are very positive

There are many situations when hotel guests ask for freebies and threaten management, if I don't get a free late check out, or a bottle of wine, or a free dinner in the A'la carte restaurants etc, I will give you a bad review. and we talking 1 & 2 star reviews. Its a fact, and some if not most hoteliers unfortunately have to live with it.

Get answers to your questions about Sharm El Sheikh