We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Dont drink the wine...but do drink the???

Chorley,Blackpudding...
Level Contributor
19 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Dont drink the wine...but do drink the???

Well thats it really;I have seen a few postings recently warning against drinking the local wine(horrid), or imported ,(v.expensive).

So what is left? Answers on a postcard to:..... Many thanks.

Swansea, United...
Destination Expert
for Sharm El Sheikh
Level Contributor
10,005 posts
53 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Dont drink the wine...but do drink the???

Hi Dave

The red wine is quite expensive, but the Obelisk red wine isn't bad, I normally drink a rioja, and it compares well.

Regards

Barbara

England
Level Contributor
1,627 posts
97 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Dont drink the wine...but do drink the???

Same here Barbara! If it's a choice between drinking Obelisk and not having a glass of wine I'd choose Obelisk any time, you get used to it after a day or so. The white tends to be rougher than the red.

Chorley,Blackpudding...
Level Contributor
19 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: Dont drink the wine...but do drink the???

Thanks to barbara h ,nibbles,and mutley-muppet (for a previously helpfull response)What would you drink casually through the day,beers,larger,spirits: any local firewater,are there any brands to watch out for...both good or bad!!! thanks again.

Abingdon
Level Contributor
62 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Dont drink the wine...but do drink the???

Local beer, Sakara is a decent lager style beer in bottles. Important that it's cold enough though, like most lagers. I think it comes in two strengths.

Manchester, United...
Level Contributor
2,251 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Dont drink the wine...but do drink the???

You can also buy your own cheap imported wine from the duty free shop upon arrival.

n ireland
Level Contributor
155 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Dont drink the wine...but do drink the???

oh god i love my red wine too am looking forward to trying barbara's suggestion as i'm very partial to rioja! can someone just explain the whole duty free shop thing to me please - is there only one shop and is there a time limit to buying stuff in it and what does it sell?? apologies if these are really stupid questions

Manchester, United...
Level Contributor
2,251 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Dont drink the wine...but do drink the???

There is a shop at the Airport and another in Nema.

I "think" you are allowed to buy from there only within 48 hours from arrival and there is a limit that I am not sure of too. This info is for Egyptians comming from abroad. it might be more fexible for tourists though.

xxxx
Level Contributor
665 posts
1 review
Save Reply
8. Re: Dont drink the wine...but do drink the???

or buy form the UK duty free before you leave, Fetzer rose - 2 for £5 from Bristol. The wine over there is really vile, i would prefer to drink domestos personally.

liverpool
Level Contributor
82 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Dont drink the wine...but do drink the???

hahahahaha well filmishmish youll have a good clean inside hahahahah

i have found the good red and white wine in fantazia very nice but make sure it is the good one not the cheapo one ... and yes duty free from uk is best but take a bottle/cork opener ..... take care kathy

Chorley,Blackpudding...
Level Contributor
19 posts
1 review
Save Reply
10. Re: Dont drink the wine...but do drink the???

Many thanks for all your responses,but what I want to know is where FILMISHMISH got his liking for Domestos. Been out drinking with the Russians have we?!!!

Get answers to your questions about Sharm El Sheikh