We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

snorkeling in Taba

manchester
Level Contributor
2,288 posts
37 reviews
Save Topic
snorkeling in Taba

Could anyone tell me how good the snorkeling is in Taba. I am thinking of either the Sofitel or the intercontinental for next summer but want somewhere with excellent snorkeling. Does anyone know how snorkeling compares to sharm or marsa alam (these are the other 2 areas I am considering).

Any help at all would be much appreciated

Thanks

Mentioned in this post
Taba
Taba
Red Sea and Sinai, Egypt
Arsy, France
Level Contributor
3,299 posts
77 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: snorkeling in Taba

the snorkling is not great, the sea is mainly sand and what reef there is is covered in silt, it also stays shallow for some time, if you go down towards to hyatt the sea is better but it is no way as good as at taba village (where the hilton is), the snorkling there is amazing but I would not recommend that you stay there, I would recommend that you stay at the intercontinental and walk up to the hyatt and if you want to do some better snorkling then take a taxi to the blue bay (between taba heights and taba village) or go on a snorkling trip

UK
Level Contributor
19 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: snorkeling in Taba

We thought that the snorkelling was great. We did it every day, so it must have been good!

We saw more fish and corals here than 2 Maldives islands, Bahamas, Cuba, Antigua, etc etc

You can snorkel off one of the jettys along Taba Heights, but we found the best was near the Marriott beach bar. Here if you time the tide right you can paddle out to the reef (good for me coz I don't like deep water) and there is a few sections of reef to investigate so you don't get bored!!

We absolutely loved this resort and the snorkelling was one of the plus points for us, but not everyone has the same tastes in holidays....

Mentioned in this post
Taba
Taba
Red Sea and Sinai, Egypt
Arsy, France
Level Contributor
3,299 posts
77 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: snorkeling in Taba

well it was not good when I was there last week and certainly was not a patch on the snorkling at taba village but I did only check out the area at the intercontinental, I beleive it's much better off the jetty by the hyatt

London
Level Contributor
541 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: snorkeling in Taba

imho the Hyatt has got to be the best hotel for snorkelling because of their two jetties.

(tip)

If you walk left to the end of the Hyatt beach, then clamber for about 5 minutes on the rocky path around the headland, you come to a sandy bay (Scheduled for a Club Med development)

About a further 15 minutes walk around the bay brings you to a another headland. From there you can walk into the sea off the sandy beach and a few minutes paddling takes you onto a fantastic unspoilt reef face into deep water.

It's where the Taba Heights 'waterworld' dive boats sometimes anchor.

I'm going again on 24 Sep - see you there!

Mentioned in this post
Taba
Taba
Red Sea and Sinai, Egypt
Devon
1 post
Save Reply
5. Re: snorkeling in Taba

Hi There, We have just returned from our third trip to Taba Heights...............I recommend the Hyatt Regency Hotel;the hotel has its own jetty, many of the holiday makers that stay in the Sofitel/Intercontinental use the Hyatt jetty. It has great access to the reef, truely amazing! Oh and all the "snorkelling" boats anchor off the hotel beach so that tells you something! We travel with Longwood holidays, Regards

Mentioned in this post
Taba
Taba
Red Sea and Sinai, Egypt
Bridgend, United...
Level Contributor
50 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: snorkeling in Taba

taba is very well know for its excellent snorkelling and diving. even if you cant get a great result directly in the sea where you are staying, they are plently of trips to "the best places to go".

If you like diving and would like to dive with dolphins, I would recommend the Longwood trip to Eilat on the Eilat Fun Day. You go to a sea life world type thing in the morning and you get to dive with dolphins in the afternoon (for an extra cost, of about £40 i think I paid) you can have your very own video made of you underwater diving with them as well.

I think a majority of people I meet in Egypt in Taba had gone solely for the snorkelling and diving in the area - so it certainly cant be all bad.

Mentioned in this post
Eilat
Eilat
Southern District, Israel
Egypt
Egypt
Africa
Taba
Taba
Red Sea and Sinai, Egypt
Bridgend, United...
Level Contributor
50 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: snorkeling in Taba

by the way - if you decide to go to Eilat, take english money with you (not travallers cheques etc) as they will not change up egyptian pounds in the sea life centre place, but they will change english money.

as this is the first stop on the trip, it is your best bet to get some money to spend at the all important dolphin reef - but you can pay for the dvd you have made (if you have one done) by card.

Mentioned in this post
Eilat
Eilat
Southern District, Israel
Kent
Level Contributor
123 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: snorkeling in Taba

Hi

If you go to the jettys by the Hyatt, go into the sea were it is cordoned off by ropes and then slowly snorkel out to the edge of the reef by the Hyatt, it is amazing, we have been to the Maldives, Thailand and other redsea resorts and the fish are far bigger at Taba Heights, last year just off the sofitel beach we saw under a small rock/coral cluster a snowflake Moray eel (apparantly very rare), If you look into the coral holes, they go quiet deep and there are often beautiful corals and fish, on the edge of the reef is were you will get the larger fish, someone reported that they even saw turtles earlier this year. the jettys get very crowded and Im sure it scares the fish away. I have been to Sharm and I think Taba Heights is far better.

Sharm is great if you want huge hotels and hassle as soon as you walk out the hotel, also there is loads of new hotels being built along the coastline. Naama Bay is great at night but most of the hotels are at least half an hours drive away.

Taba Heights is far more laid back, no hassle if you go into the town (not much there tho) just a supermarket, chemist a few gift shops and some bars and restaurants.

I feel safer in Taba Heights it is far more security conscious. All traffic is checked at security check points before they can even enter the village. There are also buses (taff taff) that travel around the resort every half an hour to every hotel, the town and the watersports centre.

Please feel free to ask any questions. We are going back to Sofitel on 7th Oct

If you want to know anymore please ask.

Mentioned in this post
Taba
Taba
Red Sea and Sinai, Egypt
9. Re: snorkeling in Taba

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 10 October 2009, 03:20
Get answers to your questions about Taba
Recent Conversations