We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Crossing from Taba to Eilat and back

Norwich, United...
Level Contributor
3 posts
12 reviews
Save Topic
Crossing from Taba to Eilat and back

Hi have read many forum answers about the crossing.

We are staying at the Movenpick Resort in May this year.

If we get a visa at airport so we can leave Egypt probably the multi entry as we will be so close to the border,is this the best idea to make the border crossing to visit eilat easier?

Will we still have to pay fees to get back into Egypt?

Once on the Israel side what is a reasonable price to pay for a taxi to Eilat? in Sterling so I can do the sums

Or is there a reliable bus service? and how much?

Mentioned in this post
Movenpick Resort Taba
Movenpick Resort Taba
3,214 Reviews
Taba, Egypt
Egypt
Egypt
Africa
Israel
Israel
Middle East
Eilat
Eilat
Southern District, Israel
Rickmansworth...
Level Contributor
878 posts
58 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Crossing from Taba to Eilat and back

I had the very same question, and contacted the Movenpick themselves, and they responded within a couple of days. There are special arrangements regarding visas for people staying at this hotel and the Hilton.

Unless you are planning on going to Cairo, you do not need to buy a visa when you arrive at Taba airport - just stay on the left hand side and get your passport stamped - when you get the entry card given to you on the plane write "sinai only" on the back of it. I have done this many many times, including trips to taba where I have visited Eilat and Jordan. Bargain on about paying £10GB to LEAVE Egypt and £10 to LEAVE Israel, although the hotel will give exact figures. The Egyptian visas are on slips of paper - dont lose them like I did once.

Eilat is immediately after the border crossing, each time I have been I have walked into town. Its a nice flat walk and you cant get lost, plenty to see. Or you can take the number 16 bus from the clearly marked bus stop which is about 6 shekels, or a taxi which will be hanging around, although I have never been lazy enough to do this. The main shopping centre is on the coast and you cant miss it. Also there is a very good duty free shop on the Israel side of the border. There are money changing points on both sides of the border, and a cash point on the Isreali side. Crossing this border can be an experience in itself, my advice, just go with the flow as the Isrealis are understandably cautious. A word to the wise, and Im sure it doesnt apply to you, do not use any handbags etc that have ever been used to transport cannibis or cocaine, even a small amount. Mark.

Mentioned in this post
Cairo
Cairo
Cairo Governorate, Egypt
Taba
Taba
Red Sea and Sinai, Egypt
Eilat
Eilat
Jordan
Jordan
Middle East
Egypt
Egypt
Africa
Israel
Israel
Middle East
Norwich, United...
Level Contributor
3 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Crossing from Taba to Eilat and back

Mark,

thankyou for replying, it did seem a bit strange needing a Visa to visit other parts of Egypt, when we were looking at leaving the country completely....lol...some sound advice

You're right won't have a worry with the hand luggage

Kevin

Mentioned in this post
Egypt
Egypt
Africa
essex
Level Contributor
20 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Crossing from Taba to Eilat and back

is it £10 each time you go over the border or does the £10 cover your holiday?

Edited: 17 March 2010, 19:22
Rickmansworth...
Level Contributor
878 posts
58 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Crossing from Taba to Eilat and back

You have to pay each time unfortunately. If you intend doing the crossing often, its worth talking to your holiday rep. Most of the reps in Taba live in Eilat, so they are very familiar with the crossing.

Mentioned in this post
Taba
Taba
Red Sea and Sinai, Egypt
Eilat
Eilat
Prague
Level Contributor
66 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Crossing from Taba to Eilat and back

We will be staying at the Hilton Taba the week after next. I had wondered about how the Sinai only stamp works when you cross into Eilat and thanks for the good advice. Although we intend to use the holiday to seriously unwind it would be a pity not to spend an afternoon in Eilat. But is that GBP10 per person? With a family of four that would mean around GBP80 for a journey of about 3km and I would seriously question whether it's worth it...

Mentioned in this post
Taba
Taba
Red Sea and Sinai, Egypt
Eilat
Eilat
Rickmansworth...
Level Contributor
878 posts
58 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Crossing from Taba to Eilat and back

Yes, its per person. I would recommend that you email the manager at the Hilton for up to date advice. Have a great holiday!

Prague
Level Contributor
66 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Crossing from Taba to Eilat and back

Thanks a lot.

Denarau Island, Fiji
Level Contributor
135 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Crossing from Taba to Eilat and back

Hi

The Israel Border tax fee is US$25.00 per person, when you return back to Taba. You will also be subject to an Egyptian Tax when you travel back to the airport of LE75.00 per person.

Eilat is a worth visiting - BUT: you need to make a good day of it (due to the tax charge) ie visit the Dolphins or Aquariums, go shopping, enjoy a nice meal in the evening etc.

kind regards

Martin

Mentioned in this post
Israel
Israel
Middle East
Taba
Taba
Red Sea and Sinai, Egypt
Eilat
Eilat
Prague
Level Contributor
66 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Crossing from Taba to Eilat and back

Thanks, Martin.

Look forward to meeting you the week after next.

darlington
Level Contributor
19 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Crossing from Taba to Eilat and back

What about kids, we'll have a 4 year year old and a 2 year old with us, will there be the same tax for them?

Get answers to your questions about Taba
Recent Conversations