We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Upset stomach after returning from Egypt

Notts
Level Contributor
10 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
Upset stomach after returning from Egypt

No problems at all while we were there and kept well hydrated.

Since returning a week ago, we both have an upset stomach.

Feeling sick on and off but not been sick.

Runs after every meal

Anyone had the same problem and have any suggestions?

Read all about Antinal but not available in the UK so too late to get it.

southampton
Level Contributor
79 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Upset stomach after returning from Egypt

My aunt and uncle got this in may after returning from sharm earlier this year and I got it last year after a visit to sharm. It's just our body reaction to temperature change and food change!! I hope you are feeling better soon.

Alison

uk
Level Contributor
26 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: Upset stomach after returning from Egypt

Hi There

We have just returned from Taba Heights While there my husband was very ill this was despite drinking plenty of water and we had to send to the pharmacy for Antinal tablets and he was also given Ciprofloxacin these worked after a few days and all was well ,but since returning both my daughter and myself have been feeling sick after eating food and also suffering the runs Went to Egypt last year and none of us suffered at all while there or on our return ,hope this feeling doesnt last back to work on monday BOO HOO

United Kingdom
Destination Expert
for Sharm El Sheikh, Red Sea and Sinai, Side
Level Contributor
20,255 posts
184 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Upset stomach after returning from Egypt

Hi,

If it were me (& it was back in 1988!) I would go to the Dr & request a stool sample analysis.

It sounds a little drastic for just adjusting to our temp back in the UK.

Ciprofloxacin is the often prescribed antibiotic here but until you know what you're dealing with I'd want a test done.

Some people have been unfortunate & picked up something nasty whilst in Egypt & specific drugs are required to sort it.

I'd do it now before you're drained any more.

With any tummy upset it maybe desirable to use dioralyte rehydration sachets (available over the counter here) & I'd be looking at buying a good probiotic tablet (health shop) to re-balance the gut flora. I'd not waste my money on dairy-based sugary commercial stuff like yakult & similar drinks (I've listened to several nutritionists on this!)

Go & get sorted for peace of mind :-)

Regards

England, United...
Level Contributor
5,795 posts
61 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Upset stomach after returning from Egypt

BaldEagleNotts & catwoman129

If this has been going on for a few days, especially as long as a week now you really do need to go to see your GP.

Before that, you need to fast - especially avoid all dairy products (although you may find natural yogurt is beneficial). Keep your fluid intake up - water & tea, even lemon or lime juice. Coca Cola won't do any harm either but is best left to go a little flat. If you feel you want to eat keep things simple - toast, rich tea/arrowroot biscuits etc. If you can get some Diarolyte sachets or similar from your local chemist too. This way you will hopefully starving the bug and decreasing it's own food intake. Don't take anything like Immdium as these are really meant for 'drying up the runs' in the event of an emergency but unfortunately they tend not to kill the bug.

Unfortunately, no one can tell where these bugs are picked up, who's going to get them or when, but it can become very distressing when it does happen. For your own peace of mind and hopefully a speedier recovery go to the GP.

Edited: 03 July 2010, 15:03
1 post
Save Reply
5. Re: Upset stomach after returning from Egypt

Yes I returned 1 week ago with the exact problem fine whilst in egypt then been on loo every time I eat although don't feel sick just toilet!

Notts
Level Contributor
10 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Upset stomach after returning from Egypt

Thanks for all the suggestions.

I spoke to a friend of mine who regularly visits the national watersport centre at Nottingham.

He told me that all the visitors who end up in the water, drink coca cola afterwards as it kills the bacteria in the gut after swallowing water.

It supposedly only works with 'proper' red coca cola and not the diet versions.

Tried it out and it seams to have worked..... Bizarre

No wonder it rots your teeth. lol

Hope everyone else who is suffering gets sorted out soon.

United Kingdom
Destination Expert
for Sharm El Sheikh, Red Sea and Sinai, Side
Level Contributor
20,255 posts
184 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Upset stomach after returning from Egypt

Think you're supposed to let it go flat too; then it's at its optimum with the sugar levels for the colon & helping to rebalance the bacteria.

Regards

England, United...
Level Contributor
5,795 posts
61 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Upset stomach after returning from Egypt

BaldEagleNotts,

That's interesting about water sports and coca cola. As you will see, I suggested it in my post but I was thinking more in terms of its rehydration value. I remember reading about it in the Sahara Dessert Handbook many years ago (before the diet versions).

I would still suggest that you go to the GP though. Unfortunately these stomach bugs once they have taken hold have a nasty habit of appearing to clear up leaving you feeling fine for all or most of the time, but unaware that you have infact become a symptomless carrier and the bug is still multipling inside you.

bucks
Level Contributor
3 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Upset stomach after returning from Egypt

Just returned from Taba (sol y mar sea star) was ok for the first week and a half then woke up the latter end of our two week stay with the most awful stomache pains, i was doubled up on the bathroom floor not being sick not with "the runs" just incredible pains in my tummy enough to think i was going to faint, i racked my brains as to what i had eaten the day before but it was no different to what i had the whole holiday and i had not indulged in any weird drink, i was worried about our flight home as i desperately wanted to get on the plane without them thinking i had some bug and not allow me on so i drank sips of water ate dry toast very slowly, laid in bed to rest my tummy and had diluted pain killers in water to ease it, it worked i was ok for a good 6 hours and made the flight home with no problem or pain, ive been home in good old blighty for a day now and have had a few moments where the pain comes back but for about 30 seconds, i put it down to pure over indulgence, being in another country, different food different liquids the sheer heat late nights and lets face it when do we ever at home eat three times a day like we do when we go to these all inclusive hotels! our insides go into over drive to cope with it all and after a while cant cope the tummy cant take anymore and you get the shots of pain thats the body's way of saying " hey enough now i cant cope with this! holiday over get back to the healthy eating" !!!

10. Re: Upset stomach after returning from Egypt

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 04 January 2011, 05:17
Get answers to your questions about Taba
Recent Conversations