We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Using american Dollars

Which Taba hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Birkenhead, United...
Level Contributor
167 posts
76 reviews
Save Topic
Using american Dollars

Hi was wondering wether it was woth taking American dollars with us when we visit in March???. Been to Hurgarda & took Dollars & Eygpitian £, although they loved the english £.

Thanks so excited only 10wks 2 days

Belfast, United...
Level Contributor
215 posts
40 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Using american Dollars

I think the best answer to this is, "If you were going on holiday to New York, would you consider taking Egyptian Pounds with you ? " ......Thought not, so that's your answer.

Cheers Brian

King's Lynn, Norfolk
Level Contributor
29 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Using american Dollars

I've been fortunate to travel quite a bit the length of Egypt and the US$ is widely accepted - more so than the GBP in my experience. You can't go wrong in Egypt with a pocket full of US$.

England, United...
Level Contributor
5,681 posts
52 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Using american Dollars

As the Egyptian Pound is the legal tender of the country and so easy to get hold of - even small notes and coins if you ask - I find it much better to use this.

NB - if you do your currency exchange once in Egypt you will get approx 10% better rate than in the UK. The first opportunity to do this is in the arrivals hall at the airport.

brian7790 - Agreed! :-)

Wisbech, United...
Level Contributor
1,392 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: Using american Dollars

My advice is always take sterling...If you buy $$$ you get charged commission and also get charged when you convert to £Egyptian....Why pay twice...I seldom use cash...just my plastic for meals etc....If you are AI you will find you need little cash

Dave

Scotland, United...
Destination Expert
for Luxor, Nile River Valley, Egypt
Level Contributor
9,021 posts
214 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Using american Dollars

I struggle to see why people find this concept puzzling - The Unit of Currency is LE - end of story.

Yes other currencies are accepted, but the locals have to find a tourist, in many cases, to change things back - They don't all have access to Bank Accounts!!.

It is easy to get change as you buy your visa at the airport on arrival

In fact, your visa is the main thing priced in Dollars - $15.

You probably need to pay your hotel bill in Foreign Currency - £'s work fine

We had one member on here trying to persuade us that the locals preferred $ tips. Why? - The smallest tip was therefore around 6LE. Those of us who changed to LE might give 5LE (Or even 1 or 2LE)

Edited: 05 January 2011, 16:17
Wisbech, United...
Level Contributor
1,392 posts
1 review
Save Reply
6. Re: Using american Dollars

Do not confuse people into thinking they need a visa for Sinai....visa is only required if visiting Cairo or Luxor'...

Dave

England, United...
Level Contributor
5,681 posts
52 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Using american Dollars

'Do not confuse people into thinking they need a visa for Sinai....visa is only required if visiting Cairo or Luxor'...'

Hmmm - Not strictly true. I quote from the Egypatian Consulate in the UK website:

Nationals from UK , EU and USA travelling to Sharm El Sheikh, Dahab, Nuweiba and Taba resorts ONLY, for a maximum of 14 DAYS, do not require a visa prior to travelling as a free entry permission stamp will be granted upon arrival. If they intend to travel outside of the above mentioned areas they MUST obtain a Visa.

http://www.egyptianconsulate.co.uk/Visas.php

England, United...
Level Contributor
5,681 posts
52 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Using american Dollars

Re: Visas - Sinai area including Taba and Sharm el Sheik.

It is not just for visits to Cairo or Luxor that you may need a visa - there are areas within the Sinai area that you may visit and require a visa. For clarification and more information read the following article from the Sharm el Sheik forum:

tripadvisor.co.uk/Travel-g297555-c58977/Shar…

Scotland, United...
Destination Expert
for Luxor, Nile River Valley, Egypt
Level Contributor
9,021 posts
214 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Using american Dollars

Dohhhh..........

Memo to self:-

Before posting a reply - check what forum you are reading!!!

'

The other comments are still valid however.

Wisbech, United...
Level Contributor
1,392 posts
1 review
Save Reply
10. Re: Using american Dollars

I give advice on this forum for guests visiting Taba/Taba Heights wishing to avail themselves of the many excursions available.......VISA IS ONLY REQUIRED IF THEY WISH TO VISIT CAIRO OR LUXOR......In certain circumstances divers need a visa to dive in the Red Sea but not in the Taba/Taba Heights area

As I said before....do not confuse people.....

Dave

Get answers to your questions about Taba
Recent Conversations