We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Hotel Closures

Eastwood, United...
Level Contributor
568 posts
22 reviews
Save Topic
Hotel Closures

Read a report in the Daily News Egypt, that 18 hotels in the Taba and Nuweiba areas are being closed on a temporary basis due to the low volumes of tourists.

Also - if true - and this is the sad part that all non essential staff have been laid off whilst the current situation prevails.

Can anyone add an update to the report , also believe similar problems in Sharm.

Des

United Kingdom
Destination Expert
for Sharm El Sheikh, Red Sea and Sinai, Side
Level Contributor
20,179 posts
184 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Hotel Closures

Sharm post:

tripadvisor.co.uk/ShowTopic-g297555-i9225-k6…

Regards

Swindon England
Level Contributor
290 posts
60 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Hotel Closures

Hi

Had an email yesterday Peltours offering 5* AI Hilton Taba for £199 a week from 16 Sept to 14 Oct this must be bargain of the year.

Have a friend and neighbour at Sofitel Taba Heights now

But fear for all Hotel Staff in all Taba, last year in Sept Sol Y Mar was not full but all staff friendly and tried hard so we would enjoy our holiday. Not their fault if problems in Cairo have frightened travellers.

Dariusdave

Cairo, Egypt
Level Contributor
502 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Hotel Closures

I know that the hotels in the Taba and Nuweiba area have really low occupancies. Really low. But 18 closed ? No. That, I am sorry to say, sounds a very big exageration - bearing in mind there is only about 25 - 26 three to five star hotels in that whole area.

There were many hotel construction sites along the Taba - Nuweiba road that were never finished and never opened, and then there are several older hotels such as Dolphin and Safari, north of Nuweiba, and Tropicana in Nuweiba that closed down many years ago.

Maybe the report refers to the many little camps and that that dot the road.

Oxford, United...
Level Contributor
11 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Hotel Closures

Well we have just booked to go to Sofitel on Tuesday and they sound well and truly open from the lovely email I had from the front desk . Cannot wait, will report back on my return!!! Keep booking everyone..

sharm el sheikh
Level Contributor
17 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Hotel Closures

I am in Taba Heights at the moment and there is 1 hotel only closed for a month, the other hotels are very quiet but remain open for business as usual. The tour operators Longwood and Petours are offering brilliant prices for Taba Heights at the moment so go for it!!! It is a gated resort so extremely safe and 6 hours away from Cairo anyway.

Tel Aviv, Israel
Level Contributor
100 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Hotel Closures

Whats the name of the hotel?

surrey
Level Contributor
53 posts
118 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Hotel Closures

El Wekala, Three Corners Hotel. :-)

Wisbech, United...
Level Contributor
1,392 posts
1 review
Save Reply
8. Re: Hotel Closures

Peltours are selling El Wekala in early Oct using Thomson flights...

north yorks
Level Contributor
4 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Hotel Closures

Longwood and Pelltours cancelled all flights to Taba Heights on the18th September why cannot some tour operator fly from Manchester instead of trailing and expensive clients from north of England to Gatwick.

Eastwood, United...
Level Contributor
568 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Hotel Closures

Sorry to be the bearer of bad news, but as from mid October there will be no flights into Taba from the UK, option is to fly into Sharm and transfer up by road.

Des

Get answers to your questions about Taba