We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Trip to Petra cancelled.

Which Taba hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Kingston-upon-Hull...
Level Contributor
3,801 posts
60 reviews
Save Topic
Trip to Petra cancelled.

I was due to visit Petra on the 4th of Oct from Taba, heard today that the trip as been cancelled. Dose anybody know if all the trips from Taba to Petra are cancelled? Thankful for any information on this matter as the reason for staying at Taba was to visit Petra.

Belfast, United...
Level Contributor
818 posts
57 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Trip to Petra cancelled.

Why do you need to do a trip? As you are staying in Taba why not do it yourself?

Independent travellers do it all the time.

Cross into Eilat

Take a taxi to the border crossing

After crossing the border negotiate a taxi to Petra/

I suggest you stay overnight as this will reduce to cost to petra - £90 for a day trip - £60 if you stay in Jordan overnight with the advantage of seeing the Treasury first thing before the crowds arrive. You would also have time to visit the Monastery AND the possibility of organising a tour to Wadi Rum.

Kingston-upon-Hull...
Level Contributor
3,801 posts
60 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Trip to Petra cancelled.

Hi Helen, never thought of that. I very adventurous and I've dragged my dear wife to some very funny places. But she is getting to a age where a week in a nice hotel relaxing does her fine, I'm guessing a night away from Tada maybe a step to far.

Belfast, United...
Level Contributor
818 posts
57 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Trip to Petra cancelled.

If you want to visit Petra your dear wife could relax at the pool at the Movenpickn

moevenpick-hotels.com/en/…

Doing it yourself - booking prior to departure is as easy as (and perhaps easier) than a package and you have the added bonus that you did it yourself (smiley face)

Eilat, Israel
Destination Expert
for Taba, Eilat
Level Contributor
1,318 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Trip to Petra cancelled.

Tours to Petra from Eilat are daily, they will pick you up from the Taba border. If you are staying at either the Taba Hilton or Moevenpick then you can easily walk to the Egyptian side and cross, also on your return you only need to pay for the Israeli border tax once and not every time you cross, so you can enjoy the other activities/nightlife Eilat has to offer.

If you send me a PM I would be delighted to send more information.

sharm el sheikh
Level Contributor
17 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Trip to Petra cancelled.

You don't say which tour operator you are travelling with but both Longwood and Thomson are going to Petra weekly using the Taba heights marina straight over to Tala Bay Jordan. There you are met by your Jordanian guide for the trip to Petra. Neither operator has cancelled their trips so if you want to be insured (remember your travel insurance will not cover independent travel through Israel and Jordan) and guided I would suggest this option. No overnight stay is included.

Kent
Destination Expert
for Egypt
Level Contributor
4,415 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Trip to Petra cancelled.

Stella makes a very good point there about crossing international borders and insurance. The way around this would be to contact your insurance company, tell them about your specific plans, and ask them to insure you for it.

Petra is well worth a visit.

Ryde, United Kingdom
Level Contributor
7 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Trip to Petra cancelled.

We're in Taba at the moment (Sol y Mar Sea Star) and we visited Petra last Friday (20th September) booked through our Thomson rep at the hotel. It was £203 per person for the trip but that included all border/visa fees, entrance, and a lovely lunch at the Movenpick. It was a long day (about 16 hours round trip) but well worth it - we wouldn't have missed it for the world!

United Kingdom
Destination Expert
for Sharm El Sheikh, Red Sea and Sinai, Side
Level Contributor
20,110 posts
183 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Trip to Petra cancelled.

Glad you managed to get there, Lady_Luck76; are the Jerusalem or Dead Sea trips also running, please?

Thanks & regards

Ryde, United Kingdom
Level Contributor
7 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Trip to Petra cancelled.

Yes they are :) the only trip that is not running is the Sinai by Starlight, as there is still a curfew in Nuewba where the trip goes. We took a wonderful boat trip yesterday for snorkelling at Farun Island and the Blue Hole at Fjord Bay, which is a lovely day out x

10. Re: Trip to Petra cancelled.

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 27 September 2014, 10:22
Get answers to your questions about Taba
Recent Conversations