We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Resent Troubles close to the area of Taba.......

kent
Level Contributor
848 posts
43 reviews
Save Topic
Resent Troubles close to the area of Taba.......

We are due to go to Taba in August staying at Tha Holiday Inn Hotel. We realise that this resort is close to Israel, does anyone know how far away the trouble is from where we are going? I do realise that if there was trouble close by that Portland/Thomson would not fly people over there. It is a worry and we would be glad of any advise anyone can offer us. Thanks.

Nuweiba, Egypt
Level Contributor
2,176 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Resent Troubles close to the area of Taba.......

The current tragic incidents and troubles have occured in northern Israel and in Lebanon, whilst, as you will know, Taba is on the southern border of Israel. The Holiday Resort ( it no longer operates under the Holiday Inn brand name ) is some 50 km south of Taba. There are no military targets close by and I would not see any danger whatsoever. Of course, one does not like watching war stories on the news whilst on holiday and there is a chance, rather remote I hope, that the current situation could escalate into a war should Israel decide to attack Syria and / or Iran. However, even if that did happen I doubt that the Israeli military would risk opening a western or southern front by attacking Egypt. So please rest assured you should be perfectly safe.

Croydon, England...
Level Contributor
930 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Resent Troubles close to the area of Taba.......

Further to that, Egypt and Jordan currently have a peace treaty with Israel. We'll have to wait and see if the conflict escalates or not and also whether there'll be any impact on trips to the south/west side of Israel including Jerusalem. Until the Foreign Office advice not to travel to Egypt I'm still going in September.

kent
Level Contributor
848 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Resent Troubles close to the area of Taba.......

Hi Royeee

Thanks for the advise. We shall be there from 25th Aug for 2 weeks, an we are really looking forward to it. Enjoy your trip in September. Thanks again.

Croydon, England...
Level Contributor
930 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Resent Troubles close to the area of Taba.......

Cheers, enjoy yours too!

Oops, for south/west side I meant south/east side!

Warwickshire, UK
Level Contributor
22 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Resent Troubles close to the area of Taba.......

We are due to fly out there on July 31st to stay at the Hyatt Regency.

I am confident that we will be fine, at least safe from the problems in Israel. As others have said the current problems are in the North of the country around the border with Lebanon.

Egypt of course has it's own problems as the bombs in Sharm and Dahab have shown. Nevertheless you can't hide from terrorist cowards or they win don't they?

6. Re: Resent Troubles close to the area of Taba.......

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 15 August 2009, 04:16
Get answers to your questions about Taba