We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Stomach Upsets in Egypt

kent
Level Contributor
877 posts
56 reviews
Save Topic
Stomach Upsets in Egypt

We are due to go to Taba in Egypt very soon and i keep reading reviews where people keep getting Tummy problems with a sickness and diararoa bug. Does anyone know what causes this and what we can take to get better quicker. We have Imodium. Is there any thing else anyone can recommend? Any tips would be grateful. Thanks.

Mentioned in this post
Taba
Taba
Red Sea and Sinai, Egypt
Egypt
Egypt
Africa
Belfast, United...
Level Contributor
837 posts
71 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Stomach Upsets in Egypt

Hi SnorkelQueen7 - do you like to snorkel??

My partner & I are just back and like you we were worried about getting ill. We spent 2 weeks in Egypt in Cairo, Luxor & Sharm and apart from a few runny poo's we didnt get ill.

I genuinely believe that most people get ill from dehydration & heat exhaustion rather than dodgy food.

We didnt eat in any local cafes we stuck to hotels. I only took ice in my drink in the hotel bars. I took a gel hand cleanser, and used it regularly.

To avoid heat exhaustion wear a hat, try to avoid midday sun, drink around 10 litres of water a day, that may sound like alot of water but believe me you'll need it!

Sometimes runny poo can be caused by the water, it contains a higher level of potassium than our water, apparently?!

You'll have a great time anyway dont worry about getting ill.

Mentioned in this post
Egypt
Egypt
Africa
Cairo
Cairo
Cairo Governorate, Egypt
Luxor
Luxor
Nile River Valley, Egypt
kent
Level Contributor
877 posts
56 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Stomach Upsets in Egypt

Hi Pauline 1

Thanks for your tips and advise. I do hope we dont get any tummy troubles its very worrying and it can spoil your holiday. Im told that everyone that goes there gets it. No warning its there!!!

Im pretty sure its going to be hot there at the end of August, so we will have to keep drinking plenty of water. Ive only ever drunk bottled water when im on holiday, i would never drink tap water.

Thanks again for your tips, anymore would be helpful.

London, United...
Level Contributor
53 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: Stomach Upsets in Egypt

When I went to Egypt last year I suffered with a bad stomach bug.

I was stupidly careful, didnt drink the local water, even kept my mouth shut when I showered.

I drank plenty of water and wore a hat at all times.

I think some people just get unlucky, and are generally more prone to it. I had terrible stomach cramps and diaorehha for 4 days out of a week. I didnt take any medicine with me, so relied on Mint tea that the Egyptions recommended.

Stock up on medicine and im sure you'll be fine.

Mentioned in this post
Egypt
Egypt
Africa
London, United...
Level Contributor
734 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Stomach Upsets in Egypt

One very effective preventative measure is washing your hands often.

Pauline 1suggested using antibacterial hand wash gel.

Apparently, handling money can pass bugs. I have bought antbacterial wipes which are pricey but not taking the any chances and told my daughters to stop biting their nails! :-)

Biggin Hill Kent
Level Contributor
35 posts
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: Stomach Upsets in Egypt

Snorkelqueen7. My daughter and I came back from Taba 31st july 2006. I got the bug for 5 out of the 7 days and my daughter sort of got the bug off and on. I did not let it spol my holiday so I guess I didn't get it as bad as others.

We took everything we could to prevent getting it.

We took the had wash gel.

We drank water all day long and very little alchohol. No ice.

We took 40 diaoralyte satches and took at least two a day each. On top of that at every meal we had fesh water with sugar salt and lemon to replace the bits you sweat out.

We kept out mouth shut in the shower and the pool.

We took disinfectant wipes and after the maidperson had cleaned the room we wiped every surface, knob, tap, completley cleaned the loo and bath/shower just in case the cloth they used came from a room with the bug.

We handled Egyptian money about three times, we used brand new dollars for tipping and buying the odd thing, as we were all inclusive.

I sat in the shade most of the day (cos of the bug).

We kept the air conditioning on low in the room so the temerature in and out was not a shock.

Also took imodium, but as other people say it realy just stops you taking a dump (bungs you up) it does not get rid of the bug.

We also ate food that was usually freshly prepared, pastas. We did eat other stuff but made sure it was hot.

You cant do more than that can you?????

Yes I got the trotts but I still enjoyed the holiday, I just was wiped out most of the time so couldnt do the trips I wanted. We only did one trip when we first got there (The bedouin night and tour of the stars which we both enjoyed thoroughly).

I am not going to tell you the grizzly stories the other guests told about their trotts and the bills they paid to the doctor. Believe me some people were put in drip's, others paid a lot of money for simple diaoralyte. As I was only there for a week I decided to wait till I got home to see my own doctor. My sample was normal with no bad stuff, so I have no idea what causes it.

Do and take all the precausions you can and keep your fingers crossed. You will be told a hundred different remedies by cheifs/ reps and guests, try the lot it can't hurt if you have it.

The main thing is that you dont let it spoil your trip.

The only thing it affected for me was I wasn't about to go on a whole day trip to Petra or anywhere and have an accident or spend the whole time looking for the loo. I just went with the flow and enjoyed the sea/ fishes/ coral and hotel.

A word of warning, reading all through the variouse web sites about the tablets people were perscribed when they were in Egypt, I put the names in google and found they were banned in Britain one was a pesticide. So it is up to you if you take them. I do travel a lot and am far from a hypocondriac.

Just go prepared and enjoy your holiday to the best. If there is a trip you really want to do, DO IT AS SOON AS YOU GET THERE.

Mentioned in this post
Taba
Taba
Red Sea and Sinai, Egypt
Egypt
Egypt
Africa
London, United...
Level Contributor
734 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Stomach Upsets in Egypt

Moopy 4,

Sorry you had such a rough time. You never know, having all that sickness might have boosted your immune system!

Did you eat out? or at the hotel you stayed at?

Croydon, England...
Level Contributor
982 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Stomach Upsets in Egypt

Sorry to read that you had such a rough time, you must be gallant to still enjoy your holiday even though you were ill 5 days out of 7!

Which hotel were you staying?

west yorks, england
Level Contributor
8 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Stomach Upsets in Egypt

Hiya,

you will have a fantastic time especially if you like snorlelling, the marine life is out of this world.

we got back from Taba about 2 weeks ago, we ate everything, had ice in drinks and didn't particularly worry about excessive hand hygiene. we wentt on quite a few trips touched lots of hands and money.

I had a little diarrhoea for a few days but was very well in myself, the kids all 3 of them were absolutely fine.

You will become dehydrated specially if you drink alcohol during the day so take some rehydration powders with you. if you manage to keep your salts in balance you'll be fine.

Just remember to drink gallons of water, if your all inclusive and plan to top your water up in the same bottle make sure you buy a new one everyday. topped up bottles breed bacteria like nothing on earth, only cost sabout 80p for a 2 litre bottle water.

Enjoy wishing we were back there already

Carol

Mentioned in this post
Taba
Taba
Red Sea and Sinai, Egypt
Biggin Hill Kent
Level Contributor
35 posts
1 review
Save Reply
9. Re: Stomach Upsets in Egypt

I am sorry if you all took what I wrote the wrong way. I was just being honest. I had a smashing holiday , hotel and food was very good. The snorkling was great.

Just like someone said drink lots and keep you salts and stuff in balance and if you do get it dont let it get you down.

We stayed at the Sea Star Taba. We didn't eat out because there wasn't even a kiosk near. The Sea Star stand entirely on its own, with its own beach. The hotel did have a super Italian restaurant, where the food was the very best top quality you could get anywhere even at home.

The temperature was 50 degrees most days and that in its self makes you just want to float around on a swimming pool.

The rep we had said that if we booked a trip and got ill and had to cancel, as long as we had a doctors note there would be a complete refund. A couple we met there had to cancel two trips and their money was refunded with no problems. Worth checking if you do book trips. They also enjoyed their holiday not letting the tummy bug get the better of them.

Just go and enjoy yourself, I am sure you will be fine. Its a smashing place especially in the sea. Take your snorkels with you. I did report on our trip under the forum heading Sea Star Taba.

Mentioned in this post
Taba
Taba
Red Sea and Sinai, Egypt
England
Level Contributor
273 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Stomach Upsets in Egypt

Myself & my husband went to Taba last year & it seemed most people we met had some sort of stomach upset while they were there apart from us & i ate everything so it cant be that i was careful, i think im lucky to have a very strong stomach!

Mentioned in this post
Taba
Taba
Red Sea and Sinai, Egypt
Get answers to your questions about Taba
Recent Conversations