We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

weather in january

lowestoft
Level Contributor
64 posts
1 review
Save Topic
weather in january

going to taba on jan 5th can anyone tell me what the weather is like have been to sharm beginning of december will it be the same thanks for any info.

London, United...
Level Contributor
156 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: weather in january

I am travelling there in feb and a friend of mine told me jan-march fine in the day time 75-80 and after 4pm gets a little brezzy.overall sun is about 6-7 hours per day

xxxx
Level Contributor
665 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: weather in january

I have to laugh at the reply on another post saying Egypt is cold in January, my Egyptian friends say it is between 20 - 24c in Sharm but could feel a degree ot two warmer/colder, depends on the wind, but the UV strenth is still very high regardless and the sea is around 22c, the nights are around 15c.

If the poster (who i shall not embarress) came to endure an English winter, he wouldnt know what hit him! If he thinks these temps are cold, then the below zero temps we suffer would kill him, literally, but must say, he gave me a good laugh anyway. To us, those temps

I am off on 11 Jan and counting down every night til i get there.

Mentioned in this post
Egypt
Egypt
Africa
london
Destination Expert
for Nile River Valley
Level Contributor
13,098 posts
273 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: weather in january

We were nearby in Aqaba that time last year. It was mainly sunny and when the sun was out it was quite warm but there was a persistent wind. It was nice for sitting around clothed in a sheltered place or for sightseeing but not for sunbathing or swimming in an unheated pool.

Mentioned in this post
Aqaba
Aqaba
Al Aqabah Governorate, Jordan
xxxx
Level Contributor
665 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: weather in january

There is a post on this forum from Sharm, someone who went to last January and said he got an amazing tan and was in the water until around 4pm! Wunderground weather history avarages are pretty good for Sharm. Someone else also said that there are only 7 hours of daylight in Jan, if thats the case, it must get light at 9am then dark at 4pm, find that hard to believe also as that is less than the UK average daylight hours. Some very conflicting information on here.... i understand different areas of Egypt have different temps but is it that diverse?

Mentioned in this post
Egypt
Egypt
Africa
xxxx
Level Contributor
665 posts
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: weather in january

sorry to be a pain, but dont go by these weather sites as they will all give diff temperatures. I was actually in Sharm the week on 4 - 11 june, the hotel therometer outside by the pool never got much less than 50c and one day it was a 52c, Wunderground claims that the Max temp for that week was 43c, not being funny, but it was 38c at night, so where that got that figure from i dont know. We even took pics of the therometer to show people back home as we couldnt believe the heat. All i can think of is that this was reading taken from the airport or something by Stevie Wonder.

Nuweiba, Egypt
Level Contributor
2,176 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: weather in january

I tend to use Accuweather. I find their weather forecasts for Nuweiba accurate except that the temperature readings are, at daytime, about 4 C less than my readings. I have a digital thermometer reading inside and outside - the outside location is fixed in the shade in a northerly position. Right now it is reading 23.5 C and its 10.30 a.m.

The sun rises here over the Saudi Mountains about 6.15 a.m. - sets behind the Sinai mountains at about 4.30 p.m. - 8 hours. But find a sheltered spot ( if windy ) and believe me you can strip off and sunbathe much more comfortably than during the summer months when it can be too hot for some people. Just rise early and sleep early to enjoy a full sunny day.

The sea is moderate throughout the year. In the open, deep water in winter it will go down to 21 C whilst in the summer it will rise to 27 - 28 C. In the shallow water it will be cooler than that in the winter and hotter than that in the summer. Unheated pools in winter get chilly - going down to 13 - 14 C early morning to 20 C in the afternoon ( if not a deep pool ).

When in Nuweiba ( 90 % of the time ) I swim or snorkel early every morning throughout the year and often late afternoon too.

Mentioned in this post
Nuweiba
Nuweiba
South Sinai, Egypt
xxxx
Level Contributor
665 posts
1 review
Save Reply
7. Re: weather in january

many thanks Swiss for that info.

Nuweiba, Egypt
Level Contributor
2,176 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: weather in january

You're welcome ! Right now it is 20.8 C at 6.36 p.m.

No wind, sky very clear. Was a beautiful day today !

xxxx
Level Contributor
665 posts
1 review
Save Reply
9. Re: weather in january

lucky you, in the UK, wet, cold and windy, cant wait to get to Sharm in January!

lowestoft
Level Contributor
64 posts
1 review
Save Reply
10. Re: weather in january

Thanks for all your help, cant wait till i go, is taba alot different from sharm, are you able to do any shopping there or is it really that remote. Thanks for any feedback.

Get answers to your questions about Taba
Recent Conversations