We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Nadi to tavenu

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
19 posts
Save Topic
Nadi to tavenu

Sorry I just joined and I see someone has already asked. Thanks.

New South Wales...
Destination Expert
for Fiji, New South Wales, Australian Capital Territory
Level Contributor
4,000 posts
241 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Nadi to tavenu

Welcome to the forums. Feel free to ask anything else you may want to know........

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
19 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Nadi to tavenu

Very Kind of you. I have only been to Suva many years ago.

I am organising a trip for 2 friends maybe in June.

Dont want to stay at fancy hotels and trying to do it within a reasonable budget.

Maybe stay 10 days.

What I have figured so far...Stay in Nadi a couple of nights Perhaps Bamboo Lodge?

Splurge on a couple of day trips to the Mamanuccas and maybe Yasawas on a schooner and/or semi submersible.

Then get to Tuvununu without it costing too much and stay at one of the backpacker places there for a week or so.

Interested in the culture, snorkelling, spas, and yummy local food.

Any thoughts tips or suggestions?

Thanks again.

Margaret

Then

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
19 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Nadi to tavenu

I meant Taevenu

New South Wales...
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
4,000 posts
241 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Nadi to tavenu

It's actually Taveuni - LOL :)

A couple of budget places that are always well mentioned there are Bibi's Hideaway and Coconut Beach Grove.

As for Nadi - it really depends HOW budget you want to go. I've not heard of Bamboo but it does seem to get good reviews on TA. A couple of others that often get good mentions are Bluewater Lodge, Aquarius & Smugglers Cove. Check out the reviews - you can filter by price or star rating.

Edited: 11 May 2013, 04:49
Reno, Nv
Destination Expert
for Matangi Island, Fiji
Level Contributor
5,309 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Nadi to tavenu

Knew you meant Taveuni, Margaret.

Forget Nadi. With ten days, could split your time between a resort in the Yasawas or Mamanucas with a stay on Taveuni.

Have a look at the websites for Coconut Grove Beach Cottages and Garden Island Resorts on Taveuni. Both get good reviews and a range of accommodations at reasonable prices.

http://www.coconutgrovefiji.com/index.php

http://www.gardenislandresort.com

Hope this helps.

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
19 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Nadi to tavenu

Yes thanks. Was only thinking of Nadi for the first night or two, and the last night.

Dont want to spend toooo much but budget not too tight.

I dont mind budget as long as its clean and the crowd is younger and friendlier.

Would rather spend the money on scuba lessons and gifts for the local children than a fancy room to be honest.

My main concern with the resorts is that you could be paying a lot for food that you may not like eg bacon and eggs for brekkie yuk.

So I would want a bit of flexiblilty on where to eat.

Im a chef so I want to eat local dishes and lots of tropical fruit.

Thank you for the links I found the coconut grove website to be very helpful.

Cheers

Margaret

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
19 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Nadi to tavenu

Thanks Tez.

Budget ok if its clean. Doesnt have to be the cheapest.

I guess what I really want is interaction with the locals and flexibility on where to eat.

Marg

New South Wales...
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
4,000 posts
241 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Nadi to tavenu

Anywhere you go, you won't get a huge range of places to eat. The good thing is, that the more remote the place you stay, the more likely you are to get wholesome, home-cooked local produce. It's usually the larger western resorts that you get the bacon & eggs......

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
19 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Nadi to tavenu

Yes thats what I want Remote. Being a chef for the past 6 years means I have cooked about a million kgs of bacon.

I want to get out and about and see the sights, take the bus etc, hang with the locals so no point staying in a flash resort, beautiful as they are, and its more than I want to spend anyway. I dont mind roughing it within reason. The main thing for me would be to do some snorkelling. Maybe it would be a good idea to buy a good mask and flippers here?

New South Wales...
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
4,000 posts
241 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Nadi to tavenu

We always take our own snorkel gear. Usually find decent ones at tackle or dive stores or somewhere like BCF even.