We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Royal Davui or Turtle Island

Tricia227
3 posts
Save Topic
Royal Davui or Turtle Island

Hi everyone:

My boyfriend and I are planning on travelling to Fiji at the end of April 2008 for our honeymoon. We are planning on making two stops. The first is to be decided (based on responses from you!). The second will be near Taveuni. We are huge diving enthusiasts and hope to dive the Somosomo Strait. We have decided to do Taveuni last due to flight times (it will be the most efficient in terms of the least amount of time spent travelling between places).

My question for all of you is: what should the first stop be? We have spent a lot of time researching and have narrowed it down to Royal Davui and Turtle Island. We expect to spend 10 days at either place. While we love diving, we generally like to be active on vacation and would be happy to doing a variety of other things instead of or along with diving (snorkeling, hiking, horseback riding, etc.). Based on my research, Royal Davui seems to be near better diving.

I have read through a lot of posts on TripAdvisor. People generally seem more mixed on Turtle Island. Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance!

Tricia

Bellingen, Australia
Destination Expert
for Fiji, Mamanuca Islands, Navini Island
Level Contributor
8,673 posts
136 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Royal Davui or Turtle Island

Diving wise they are probably on a par. Royal Davui is on a tiny island. Turtle is big. The resorts are very different. No horse riding or hiking on Royal Davui. My choice would be Turtle only because of the laid back nature of the place.

Pennsylvania
Level Contributor
13 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: Royal Davui or Turtle Island

I've been to Royal Davui but not to Turtle Island. I would recommend Royal Davui in a heartbeat. They don't have horseback riding, but they have diving, snorkeling kayaking, sailing, hiking, and jet ski adventures just a short boatride away, romance, spa treatments, village visits, private spit (a must), fabulous food, fun happy hours, and most of all a absolutely wonderful staff to cater to your every whim in a more intimate setting than Turtle.

I too heard conflicting reviews on Turtle and decided on Davui. I can't imagine having the same experience at Turtle that we had at Davui. From the reviews, Turtle seems like a very expensive time share resort, Davui is more like having a private island almost all to yourself.

jetrash
1 post
Save Reply
3. Re: Royal Davui or Turtle Island

hi,going to Royal Davui, for honeymoon.,based on much help from kelly at tiveuni palms

have to choose between vale 9( by beach) or vale 13( more private)..

which vale gets more sun,and which would you say is generally better,and why?

thankyou.

Pennsylvania
Level Contributor
13 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: Royal Davui or Turtle Island

We stayed in Vale #5. We were recommended this vale by other trip advisor members. We were also told it was the owner's personal favorite. We practically had the sun rise to our left and the sun set to our right. We had the best sun on our plunge pool and from our deck we were pretty private. Vale #9 would be the furthest from the dining room, pool, marine center and docks. If I'm not mistaken though you can see Bega Island from that side. We had nothing but beautiful aqua blue water and the mainland way far off in the distance.

Think of the island as a circle with the Vale #1 next to the dining area and #9 would be the back of the island and 13 would be near the last vale which is close to the dining area. We walked all around the inner island and kayaked around the island and didn't really see a poorly situated Vale. Other guests would pass ours in kayaks and ask who we knew to get such a great one, but honestly, they are all awesome. Have a great time and tell Tony, Sue, Illi, Martin and Ima the Bennetts from Philly, USA, say said hello.

5. Re: Royal Davui or Turtle Island

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 08 September 2009, 09:20
Get answers to your questions about Turtle Island