We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Destination Dilemma - FIJI

Bath, United Kingdom
Level Contributor
1 post
2 reviews
Save Topic
Destination Dilemma - FIJI

Hi there and hope that I can get some assistance here .... please.

My son is getting married next July 07 and has chosen Fiji as the honeymoon destination - both he and his future wife are active (in the late 20's), have travelled and dived a bit and are looking for beaches, adventure and new pleasurable/memorable experiences. His brief to me is:

"At the moment we are looking at spending the 3 weeks at 2 or 3 different resorts on or around the 2nd and 3rd largest islands called Vanua Levu and Taveuni, about 50km north of the international airport on the mainland. There's lots to choose from so I've just listed some of the ones we've been looked at...

Moody’s Namena (www.moodysnamenafiji.com) which is one of our favourites. It has a 5-night minimum stay which is £700 per person and £115pp for each additional night, and includes all meals and transfers from Taveuni.

Dolphin Bay Divers Retreat (dolphinbaydivers.com) is on Vanua Levu and is £30pp/per night incl meals, transfers are extra. This place is a bit cheaper but seems to have the right feeling about it and will allow us to do plenty of diving as well as explore Vanua Levu.

Koro Sun looks really nice, their honeymoon package works out at around £900 each for 7 days (which includes their stay 7 pay for 6 offer) www.korosunresort.com. The accomodation is a bit more upmarket with air con and private plunge pool etc.

Matangi Island resort is very, very nice (www.matangiisland.com/) and works out at around £1500 (minimum) for two for 7 nights (including stay 7 pay for 6 offer) but does not include transfers. This is one of the few places to offer sailing/windsurfing and waterskiing but is really a 'money no object' resort I think.

Lomalagi resort (www.lomalagi.com/) also seems nice and is about £1800 for two for 7 nights. It is on Vanua Levu and there's lots to explore and the accomodation is spacious with good food on offer, the resort also boasts a resident pod of dolphins! "

Lots of advice for me but not having been to Fiji myself I find that there is so much to chose from that in the end I get nowehere!!

Based on other's experiences - and I am of course keen for them both to have the good expereinces and avoid the bad - I would very much welcome your feedback/opinions/suggestions etc.

S.F.
Level Contributor
6,307 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Destination Dilemma - FIJI

All I can say is excellent places to choose from! Can't go wrong choices. pub

Bellingen, Australia
Destination Expert
for Fiji, Mamanuca Islands, Navini Island
Level Contributor
9,094 posts
137 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Destination Dilemma - FIJI

Koro Sun is lovely. Can't go wrong. Also Dolphin Bay Divers - if you don't want super star accom. good food. great diving. Not the place to go to sight see on Vanua Levu. accessible only by boat and somewhat out of the way. Is there anywhere not to go in Fiji Islands? Not that I know of..The mainland resorts we don't bother with uless we have to have an overnight. You will enjoy.

Hooked

Aruba, Snt Nichols
Level Contributor
188 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Destination Dilemma - FIJI

Matangi Island is BEAUTIFUL! GO MATANGI!! My friend owns the entire island and resort, the Douglas family are very hospitable and their aim to satisfy their clients are always accomplished, this island is so exotic, very lush, fresh and traditional a hint of western but PERFECT! you wont go wrong with Matangi Island, trust me!

Melbourne
8 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: Destination Dilemma - FIJI

They are all great resorts but very different. Seems as though your son may be looking for great diving so the North of Fiji is the right place to be as it is the soft coral capital of the world! Koro Sun has tons of dive sites near the resort a Colin the divemaster and crew is so helpfull. The resort is the best value for money very nice and you should be able to get a package off their website for a cheaper price even if it is not the romance package. Tons of activites to do every day. Good luck

Oregon
Level Contributor
125 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Destination Dilemma - FIJI

I am still working on my trip report (October 2006) for Moody's Namena Resort. It is ALMOST ready to post. It is QUITE long though and I am trying to condense it. If you would like to email me directly (adresses below), perhaps I could answer your questions! Also, I have learned in searching tripadvisor.com, start at the home page, http://www.tripadvisor.com/ and enter your search term in the very first Search: blank at the top of the page. This way you will get EVERYTHING not just forums.

Sue Williams

sue_williams3@hotmail.com

sdwilliams@bendcable.com

Sydney
Level Contributor
9 posts
1 review
Save Reply
6. Re: Destination Dilemma - FIJI

I am also very interested in Dolphin Bay Divers Retreat. Has any one been there recently? If so, can you please let me know about your stay?

Fiji Islands
2 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Destination Dilemma - FIJI

Bula all,

I am Viola from Dolphin Bay Divers Retreat on Vanua Levu. We also have a guest house on Taveuni. We are not a good place for exploring Vanua Levu. We have no roads and are much closer to Taveuni, however, we are the closest to all the dive sites on the Rainbow Reef (5-10 minutes).

The places you listed are all very, very different from each other, so it really depends on the level and class of experience your son wants. We are NOT a luxury resort like Matagi, Lomalagi or Koro Sun. Our bure are very basic, no air conditioning etc, but they are on the beach with a breeze going.

You can hike, swim, snorkel, dive, kayak from here, but to go to Savusavu for example, is about 45 minutes by boat and then 2.5 hours on a bus or taxi (it's a nice ride if you have the time) Taveuni isabout 15 minutes by boat. So, just though I'd put in my 5 cents.....Hope you guys have a great time wherever you go!

Lolomas

Viola

8. Re: Destination Dilemma - FIJI

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 20 August 2009, 14:17
Get answers to your questions about Savusavu