We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

My thoughts on 1st time in Gambia

Which Kololi hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Leicester
Level Contributor
33 posts
17 reviews
Save Topic
My thoughts on 1st time in Gambia

Hi everyone, Well i got back from Gambia last week and just wanted to post a few things for 1st timers. I have very mixed feelings about Gambia, the country is lovely, the sun amazing, animals and wildlfe great, however the hassel you get really did get to me too much! By day three i had a little cry as i was so stressed.

Stayed at Bakotu hotel, and couldnt fault it. Basic, but was clean and all the staff so joyful and friendly. Breakfast ok, but we paid extra for eggs most mornings. Mr Toitoise liked it outside our room as we gave him cabbage and lettuce.

Spent shed loads of money. It is not cheap out there. Food was amazing, did not have one bad meal. Fave place was The African Queen in Senegambia. And Boss Lady in Kotu for cheaper gambian food.

People keep asking me if i would go back and i really dont know. Maybe it would be better going again knowing a few people but we really did get annoyed at the bumsters etc just pouncing on us, sitting with us, talking for ages. We met some lovely lovely people but we are not sure if all are genuine. They all tend to say the same thing. However i understand they just need business.

My school visit was great however i wish i had took so much more stuff. Would recomend taking enough for 20 kids if you go to a class.

Did 2 day trips in the end. One on our own and one with Dan d Man (OTG) very good. Loved Lamin Lodge and Monkey park.

All i would say is if you dont like hassel dont go. by the end of the week we were more relaxed and had made some friends and the others tend to stay away abit.

If in Kotu, see Ebrima at Boss Lady, Fantastic guy.

Take lots of unwanted clothes.

sorry its long just wanted to help other people, mainly first timers.

south yorkshire...
Level Contributor
8,511 posts
48 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: My thoughts on 1st time in Gambia

the more you go the more you learn

if you say to the bumsters i have been many times they leave you alone,

if you say im going to meet my gambian friend they leave you alone

if you say we want to be alone they will go away

lots and lots more

others can add theres,

dont let it put you off, you get better with practise

believe me you have to

East Sussex
Level Contributor
279 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: My thoughts on 1st time in Gambia

Here is one : When they say it's nice to be nice, my response is it's nice to be left alone.

Norway, Oslo
Level Contributor
127 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: My thoughts on 1st time in Gambia

Thank you for your first time report.

We are going with kids in middle of December to Cape point, and I hope we manage to keep the bumsters away and won’t get to much hassle. At least we are prepared.

Are the Bumsters a Gambian Phenomena?

Bristol, United...
Level Contributor
5,425 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: My thoughts on 1st time in Gambia

Sorry LeicesterJojo30,

The Gambian Bug has got to you, I think you will be back..!!

There is a big Magnet that drags you back, time and time again..

Rich..

Leicester
Level Contributor
33 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: My thoughts on 1st time in Gambia

Sunny... we tried telling one of them we wanted to be on our own and have a private chat and he just said oh ok and sat back in his chair and read his book. Another time one just sat staring at me and my lady things and i asked him why he was staring and he just sat back and looked away. ( and kept looking back out corner of his eye)

Oh my god, 'its nice to be nice' was the main saying!

HOwever, Ric, yes i do feel a kind of pull to the place and overall we had a good holiday and maybe one day in the future i will return.

Thanks everyone. x

south yorkshire...
Level Contributor
8,511 posts
48 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: My thoughts on 1st time in Gambia

well in england wouldnt you just tell him where to go?

so do the same there

you wouldnt sit with a big issue seller would you?

Nottingham, United...
Level Contributor
660 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: My thoughts on 1st time in Gambia

Hi a nice report ,i took my wife last week (her first visit)she was a bit worried about the hassle but after the first couple of days she could handle it with the best of them.

I thought that the food prices had gone up since march but the main thing JULBREW was the same lol.

Hope you give it another go, when you've been once it gets better every time.

sheffield
Level Contributor
28 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: My thoughts on 1st time in Gambia

hi,

for first timers its pretty strange getting used to the bumsters but being nice and talking to them means they wont try to hassle as much. And when they feel they know you they wont be asking for things, but instead will just want to be friends and will help give information on the gambia.

understanding that they may annoy you and perhaps waste your time, but this is a part of the gambia experience and its unique :D

-tommy-

uk
Level Contributor
1,331 posts
1 review
Save Reply
9. Re: My thoughts on 1st time in Gambia

its not just the gambia norwaygirl , kenya is the same , its something you get used to

10. Re: My thoughts on 1st time in Gambia

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

TripAdvisor staff removed this post at the original author's request.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 03 April 2012, 21:52
Get answers to your questions about Kololi
Recent Conversations