We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

My thoughts on 1st time in Gambia

Which Kololi hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Leicester
Level Contributor
33 posts
17 reviews
Save Topic
My thoughts on 1st time in Gambia

Hi everyone, Well i got back from Gambia last week and just wanted to post a few things for 1st timers. I have very mixed feelings about Gambia, the country is lovely, the sun amazing, animals and wildlfe great, however the hassel you get really did get to me too much! By day three i had a little cry as i was so stressed.

Stayed at Bakotu hotel, and couldnt fault it. Basic, but was clean and all the staff so joyful and friendly. Breakfast ok, but we paid extra for eggs most mornings. Mr Toitoise liked it outside our room as we gave him cabbage and lettuce.

Spent shed loads of money. It is not cheap out there. Food was amazing, did not have one bad meal. Fave place was The African Queen in Senegambia. And Boss Lady in Kotu for cheaper gambian food.

People keep asking me if i would go back and i really dont know. Maybe it would be better going again knowing a few people but we really did get annoyed at the bumsters etc just pouncing on us, sitting with us, talking for ages. We met some lovely lovely people but we are not sure if all are genuine. They all tend to say the same thing. However i understand they just need business.

My school visit was great however i wish i had took so much more stuff. Would recomend taking enough for 20 kids if you go to a class.

Did 2 day trips in the end. One on our own and one with Dan d Man (OTG) very good. Loved Lamin Lodge and Monkey park.

All i would say is if you dont like hassel dont go. by the end of the week we were more relaxed and had made some friends and the others tend to stay away abit.

If in Kotu, see Ebrima at Boss Lady, Fantastic guy.

Take lots of unwanted clothes.

sorry its long just wanted to help other people, mainly first timers.

scotland
Level Contributor
5,762 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
21. Re: My thoughts on 1st time in Gambia

hi blue ,dont be put off.The stories you read are others experiences and solutions.

I spent the first 10 ten days of my first visit saying I WANNA FLIGHT BACK I HATE THIS COUNTRY.

Having been to turkey and tunisia frequently. I was not prepared for a third world country..The sheer poverty was overwhelming,If I had known there were sites like this I may have been prepared,

Scams always crop up, their was a blitz on driving licence dodgers and road duty dodgers,cars were stopped every other street,,The courts then started fining 1000 dalAsi or 6 months in prison. Now my wheelchair is electric,guess what after that I got stopped,I was asked where was my licence etc,after all if I am on the road chair must be petrol or diesel the man assumed,

his face was a picture when he was shown the batteries, still smile about still ,god loves a trier

street sellers are not bumsters,I have lots of time for these boys who walk around 7 days a week in searing heat,If possible when I need something I wait for them and buy my articles.but dont pay anything near the first price, a third is usually nearer the mark,half if you feel guilty,They do like to haggle,I tell them my family should not go hungry to pay the first price,that gets things off to

good start, enjoy your trip.

Colchester, United...
Level Contributor
1,077 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
22. Re: My thoughts on 1st time in Gambia

stevielincoln yes good one that should work every time, the other one is hello i am your cleaner at your hotel my reply "oh what sex are you then this morning you where a woman called adama"

23. Re: My thoughts on 1st time in Gambia

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12 February 2010, 06:30
Get answers to your questions about Kololi
Recent Conversations