We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Bungalow Upgrade Palma Rima? How much?? Xmas

liverpool, england
Level Contributor
1,258 posts
21 reviews
Save Topic
Bungalow Upgrade Palma Rima? How much?? Xmas

Hi There,

I booked Palma Rima a couple of months ago for Xmas, and New year! I fly out on 18th December for 3 weeks and it only cost me £700 - i have read a few reviews and people say to upgrade to a bungalow rather than the hotel!! Does anyone know the price of this? Thanks

Kiffa, Mauritania
Level Contributor
1,127 posts
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: Bungalow Upgrade Palma Rima? How much?? Xmas

Sounds like you've booked a room in the block. Otherwise known as Cell Block H... The rooms are basic and airless, ok for a simple cheap room to sleep in, but don't expect much. A lot of people complain others say they are fine.

Not sure what the upgrade cost is but I'd sort it out now, well before Xmas...

A fan was £5 a day. Air con (not available in the block only in bungalows) £10 per day. A fridge £10 per day. I'd buy a fan and I have my own fridge so don't hire and I don't use the air con. If you add it all together you'd probably be cheaper in Nagala Lodge.

I've stayed many times in the bungalows using it as a cheap base. It's not the Kairaba but the staff and indeed the owners are nice people.

Ilminster, United...
Destination Expert
for Gambia
Level Contributor
5,813 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Bungalow Upgrade Palma Rima? How much?? Xmas

Hi

I dont know the upgrade cost but certainly dont try to do it from the UK Just ask at the desk and express astonishment/disgust at the first price offered Everything can be bargained for in TG However im not sure you will need to upgrade at that time of year The bungalows have A/C whereas the main block doesnt when humidity is high the main block can be unpleasant but this is not a problem in Dec Why dont you try a night and see how it goes? The hotel grounds are large and you are a short walk from one of TG;s best beaches Its only a place to sleep after all rgds

liverpool, england
Level Contributor
1,258 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Bungalow Upgrade Palma Rima? How much?? Xmas

Thank you for this!

The hotel is only a base for me, but never the less i would like to stay in a clean room.

I will not need a fan as i take my own with me - i just wanted to know the cost they charge at the hotel per day to upgrade, as if it is too dear, i may change hotel is possible.

As i am going for the festive season for 3 weeks i am worried they will not have the room ro upgrade?

As i say it is a base for me as i will be visiting family, but a clean room is all i will need and i beleive in THE BLOCK these do not exist, thanks again for the comments and advice..

lauren

south yorkshire...
Level Contributor
8,512 posts
48 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Bungalow Upgrade Palma Rima? How much?? Xmas

we stayed in the block, they were very clean, but far too hot for us,

this was in november, oh and a few years ago,so would give it a try first

Edited: 03 June 2010, 16:03
United Kingdom
Level Contributor
531 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Bungalow Upgrade Palma Rima? How much?? Xmas

We have also stayed in "the block" at Palma Rima, 2008, room was basic, but very clean, and more than adequate for a base to sleep in. We mentioned that we couldnt see much from the balcony, & were moved straight away to other side of block facing the beach. Don't know if he's still there, but worth asking for Pa, the day manager, he was an absolute star, nothing too much trouble!

Edited: 03 June 2010, 17:12
uk
Level Contributor
1,334 posts
1 review
Save Reply
6. Re: Bungalow Upgrade Palma Rima? How much?? Xmas

they wanted £80 in march/april for 2 weeks ,i said i saw it on net that some one had paid £60 for 2 weeks

they offered me it for £60 and that was doing it by email so i had it in writting so to speak

Cantanhede, Portugal
Level Contributor
945 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Bungalow Upgrade Palma Rima? How much?? Xmas

Hi Lauren

We upgraded to a bungalow last year and did it through our tour operator.

I think it was around £28 a week. Well worth the money i think. As you are going over xmas you might be best to upgrade before you go as they could possibly be all booked soon.

Kim

Manchester, United...
Level Contributor
645 posts
1 review
Save Reply
8. Re: Bungalow Upgrade Palma Rima? How much?? Xmas

It used to be cheaper to do it from here. We did it via the tour operator for about £25 a week I think but thats a couple of years ago.

Maybe best to ask for a price but if it seems steep just haggle when you get there. Only thing would be if all the bungalows are full at that time of year..

liverpool, england
Level Contributor
1,258 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Bungalow Upgrade Palma Rima? How much?? Xmas

Hi All,

Spoke with the Tour Operator and they said i they will not upgrade me as i am travelling alone? I do not see why this is when i would be paying the same as if i was travelling with other people!

They said to ask when i get there so fingers crossed!

I am still counting the days and can not wait to get there and spend xmas and new year with friends and family

liverpool, england
Level Contributor
1,258 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Bungalow Upgrade Palma Rima? How much?? Xmas

Thanks everyone, looks like i will have to wait till i arrive - Thomascook have said they do not offer Bungalows to Sole Occupancy - which i don't agree with, if i travel alone or with someone it makes no difference as it is the same price!

Hoepfully i can come to an agreement once i am there, but i wont be paying silly prices!

Thanks - 165 days to go.

Get answers to your questions about Kololi