We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Lebara mobile charges

Dorset
Level Contributor
1,425 posts
Save Topic
Lebara mobile charges

Just a quick not to anyone on Lebara mobile or thinking of joining. Got a txt from them today to let me know there were CHANGES to call rates to Gambia. I knew this meant prices had risen or else they would have made a big deal if they were going down! However I was not prepared for the hike from 19p (already one of the most expensive rates on Lebara) to 35p !! Bad news indeed for me as I ring daily!! Lebara is a good provider and has extremely competetive rates to most countries>. Why so expensive to Gambia and why the sudden price rise????? Any ideas???

Manchester, United...
Level Contributor
645 posts
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: Lebara mobile charges

Hi Riddim....O2 have a deal where you top up £15 a month on Pay and Go and get 100 free minutes to Gambia. Or top up £20 and get 200 minutes.

I use my landline now...Im with Virgin Media. I pay £25 a month and get 800 free minutes to anywhere in the world. Its a great package!

Torfaen
Destination Expert
for Gambia
Level Contributor
1,286 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Lebara mobile charges

Bad news indeed

1Caz - are these offers to landlines? I use Lebara but I call Africell mobile numbers.

Can anyone suggest the best way to call mobiles now in TG?

H

York, United Kingdom
Level Contributor
6,475 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: Lebara mobile charges

Just checked seems to include mobiles :)

http://shop.o2.co.uk/tariffs/Pay_and_Go

select 'your country' tariff

Torfaen
Destination Expert
for Gambia
Level Contributor
1,286 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Lebara mobile charges

Looks good - just signed up for a free sim card - if you top up £15 per month you get 100 minutes - that's 15p per minute - very reasonable.

Just sent a snotty email to Lebara saying goodbye from a previously loyal customer - maybe we should all do the same - you never know!

rgds

H

Dorset
Level Contributor
1,425 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Lebara mobile charges

H unfortunately the 02 deal is only good if you only phone TG. When I looked into their other charges i.e calls to other uk mobiles, landlines, internet etc. they are very expensive compared to Lebara, so I would throw away your Lebara SIM with much caution!! I'm still mystified as to why calls to TG are so costly when you can phone Ghana or Nigeria are about 5- 6p? Any ideas??

Torfaen
Destination Expert
for Gambia
Level Contributor
1,286 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Lebara mobile charges

Ridd

No idea why TG is so much more expensive, but maybe you should direct the quesion to Lebara - I just did!

I have 2 phones in my pocket at all times - one for UK and one for TG, so it's no problem for me to swap to 02.

But is 02 the best deal out there? The Virgin Media sounds interesting - are there any other packages that compare???????????

H

Manchester, United...
Level Contributor
645 posts
1 review
Save Reply
7. Re: Lebara mobile charges

Yes both the O2 deal and the Virgin are for calls to mobiles aswell as landlines. The Virgin deal is wonderful as I can call anywhere in the world!

They appear to carry the balance over aswell as I checked this morning and I currently have 1200 free minutes! I didnt use it for a few weeks when I was in Gambia so its built up. Need to make some calls tonight use some up !!!

Its called TALK800

Edited: 02 July 2010, 07:12
Manchester, United...
Level Contributor
645 posts
1 review
Save Reply
8. Re: Lebara mobile charges

Forgot to add....I still have my O2 mobile aswell as I use that to text Gambia. Still only 10p a text.

uk
Level Contributor
1,334 posts
1 review
Save Reply
9. Re: Lebara mobile charges

riddi

maybe its because not so many users in gambia as to other countries so the margins are tighter

england
Level Contributor
83 posts
1 review
Save Reply
10. Re: Lebara mobile charges

have been using lebara as well but looks like its rubbish. Been looking for cheap rate sim for mobile has anyone found a replacement for lebara yet or looks like having to use virgin media home talk anywhere 200 but i do like my mobile . Miss calling Gambia help