We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Hotel Senegambia

Which Kololi hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
newcastle upon tyne
Level Contributor
27 posts
26 reviews
Save Topic
Hotel Senegambia

Could anybody please tell me when the management changed at this hotel. Just read two hotel reviews from people who have been going for years and have come home not very happy. Thank you for your help.

Old Coulsdon
Level Contributor
199 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Hotel Senegambia

Hi luke24ukuk

I believe the management changed a few years ago.

I went to the Senegambia for the first time March last year with my husband and friends for my 50th birthday. We loved it so much we rebooked within days of coming home.

Yes the rooms are basic, it is Africa after all,and if like us, you don't spend that much time in the rooms anyway! but the only problem we had with the door lock was sorted within an hour.

There are not many places that we have been to that provide hairdriers or irons, not for a 3* hotel anyway, and have always had to pay for a safe.

Go with an open mind and I'm sure you will love it, as there are far more positive reviews than the few negative ones!

Loughborough...
Level Contributor
91 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Hotel Senegambia

Just arrived back from The Gambia yesterday and we stayed at the Senegambia. Best NOT to go with the expectations of a 3 star hotel. Most of the rooms are more like a very terrible Travel Lodge.

The initial room we were given was damp, dark (very poor lit) and very smelly. After a lot of complaining and four rooms later we were given something that was manageable but still poor light and no even to the standard of a Travel Lodge!

On the positive note the staff were excellent, the hotel location is fantastic and the hotels grounds, fabulous.

lincoln
Level Contributor
1,026 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Hotel Senegambia

Marmite springs to mind!

Old Coulsdon
Level Contributor
199 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Hotel Senegambia

Absolutely! and I love Marmite!!

Loughborough...
Level Contributor
91 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Hotel Senegambia

I sincerely believe the Senegambia suffers from an expectations gap - for instance, a little bit more information regarding the classification would help.

We went there expecting something basic but NOT dark, damp and smelly. We ended up with a basic room and were relatively happy with it. Having said that, I won't be staying there again. I've already booked The Kairaba for April.

Chester, United...
Level Contributor
345 posts
101 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Hotel Senegambia

Seems like all of the blocks must be very different. Our room was in block L and was very nice; clean, looked relatively recently decorated, well lit and comfortable.

Loughborough...
Level Contributor
91 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Hotel Senegambia

"Seems like all of the blocks must be very different. Our room was in block L and was very nice; clean, looked relatively recently decorated, well lit and comfortable."

Yes, some of the rooms are decent. My main issue is that it took them four attempts and two hours of complaining to get an acceptable room. The first 3 rooms were very poor indeed and considering the whole package cost over £4,000 I was pretty disappointed. I could had booked a villa in the Caribbean for that!

Middlesex
Level Contributor
999 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Hotel Senegambia

I stayed there a couple years ago, cant remember the block no, but was the last block before you go to the pool/beach, I found it quite dingy, and the shower is a joke, but couldnt fault the service or the people.

lincoln
Level Contributor
1,026 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Hotel Senegambia

we have been going to this hotel for the past 8 yrs and have never had a bad room, most years we have seen them being repainted, this year they all have new bedding, most have new double beds remember this is a 3 star in africa .

North Wales
Level Contributor
264 posts
113 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Hotel Senegambia

We were put up in the Senegambia for two nights when our plane was delayed. We had a different room each night, one was particularly gloomy and the walls were decoratedwith what appeared to be compressed straw... it was like being in a stable.

The hotel is too big for our liking, and despite it being more expensive, it isn't as good as the Sunset Beach in Kotu. However, the local choice of eating places is better than in Kotu.

Get answers to your questions about Kololi
Recent Conversations