We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

sending a parcel to the gambia

Which Kololi hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Preston, United...
Level Contributor
54 posts
1 review
Save Topic
sending a parcel to the gambia

Hi

anyone any tips when sending a parcel to the Gambia. Postage costs, best way to package. The parcel will contain clothes.

Regards Gill

ps had a super time at the senegambia in April and the locals are really lovely people, will return at some point.

Bristol, United...
Level Contributor
5,429 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: sending a parcel to the gambia

Gill,

Glad you had good time..!!

There are a few ways to send, DHL, bit expensive, Red Coat good, Post office Parcels to Mail Box, or (Poste Restant.?) someone will correct that one.

If you go to Red Coat Web they have a Weight, Size Calculator..

Rich....

Torfaen
Destination Expert
for Gambia
Level Contributor
1,266 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: sending a parcel to the gambia

I've used the Poste Restante system 5 or 6 times but only for small parcels.

I sent a camera battery charger last week, cost me £2 in postal fees. It will arrive in about 10 days usually.

To use this system - parcel should be marked as follows:

Surname, First Name

Poste Restante

GPO

Banjul

The Gambia

Tel no of recipient is also useful.

Recipient will need to collect from main post office at Banjul once it has arrived.

Rgds

Haydn

Leitrim, Ireland
Level Contributor
363 posts
93 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: sending a parcel to the gambia

Parcels are much cheaper if under 2 kilo, found that it was cheaper for me to send a couple of these. They did take 5 weeks though.

Hope this helps.

Dorset
Level Contributor
1,424 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: sending a parcel to the gambia

Thanx for the info Haydn, just wondering how you or recipient know when parcel arrives? Takes about 10 days you say? Cheers H

Torfaen
Destination Expert
for Gambia
Level Contributor
1,266 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: sending a parcel to the gambia

Best way to find out of the parcel has arrived is for the recipient to call Banjul PO. No's are 4226114 or 4227398.

May take a few calls before you get confirmation - that could be down to delay in the parcel arriving, or just that this is The Gambia (I'm sure you know what I mean)

Rgds

Haydn

Manchester
Level Contributor
103 posts
92 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: sending a parcel to the gambia

I posted some photos to Banjul about 8 weeks ago that still haven't arrived :-( I went to my local post office and the guy behind the counter wasn't able to find The Gambia in the post office system. I told him it was in west Africa and he wanted to send them to Western Sahara. I declined and went to a larger post office attached to a sorting office. Again the chap behind the counter coundn't find The Gambia and after about 5 minutes of him saying random countries and me saying "no" one of his colleagues came up and helped him. This didn't really fill me with confidence and I'm not surprised they didn't turn up.

Dorset
Level Contributor
1,424 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: sending a parcel to the gambia

Thanx Haydn. Does not inspire you with confidence does it Tedlooney?? Hope they get there eventually. I sent a parcel once before and of course it did not arrive but that was not using this system though so I will give it a try :)

Birmingham UK
Level Contributor
825 posts
40 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: sending a parcel to the gambia

I think problems arise because the Post Office official books list it under T for THE Gambia - most of the counter clerks just look under G for Gambia and of course they say they cant find it. (I know we actually say The Gambia but I think they just ignore the 'the') Once I realised this and told them to look under T I had no further problems and everything I have ever sent has arrived.

Pattaya, Thailand
Level Contributor
477 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: sending a parcel to the gambia

It's a good idea to add West Africa to the address or the parcel may go to Zambia.

Manchester
Level Contributor
103 posts
92 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: sending a parcel to the gambia

Yes, I suggested to both clerks to look under T but they said they still couldnt find it. It was was only when the third clerk looked it up he found it and it was, indeed, under T.

Get answers to your questions about Kololi
Recent Conversations