We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Cash points in Gambia

Louth, United...
Level Contributor
26 posts
65 reviews
Save Topic
Cash points in Gambia

Has anyone used there debit cards recently on the Senegambia Strip for withdrawing cash? I know there is one at the bottom near the Senegambia hotel, but is it reliable, and are there others?

Many Thanks

Bristol, United...
Level Contributor
5,442 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Cash points in Gambia

Hi Deano,

Welcome to The Gambian Forums...!!!

Plenty of ATM's around, about 2 or 3 on The Strip, Farther away Quite a few Banks have them + Garages.

Kariba Avenue Have Plenty, Same with Banjul and Up Country..

Rich.........

Ascot
Level Contributor
1,774 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Cash points in Gambia

If you want the best deal though, use cash which gives around 50D to the pound as opposed to maybe 40D + facility charges on a card.

Louth, United...
Level Contributor
26 posts
65 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Cash points in Gambia

Cheers

Louth, United...
Level Contributor
26 posts
65 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Cash points in Gambia

Thanks for that, was considering just taking a little cash and taking my card for withdrawls as I get em free with Santander

Ascot
Level Contributor
1,774 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Cash points in Gambia

I take all cash but a card for emergency purposes. I do make sure that I have a very secure safe though and track my usage daily. Using cash can effectively give you another 20% spending money rather than adding to a bank's profits.

Bakau, Gambia
Level Contributor
3,319 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Cash points in Gambia

Deano santander told me they had stopped that facility and now charge for useing a debit card to get cash from ATNs abroad,unless they just mean for new account holders,

Newcastle upon...
Level Contributor
179 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Cash points in Gambia

santander charge me £1.25 per transaction, they also give a lower rate so its not really worth it except i emergencys. Cash is king.

Whitstable, United...
Level Contributor
4,320 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Cash points in Gambia

Santander Zero Account debit card has no charges for withdrawals and also you get a better rate than changing cash. This account is no longer available for new customers but any existing customers with this account will continue to have the free usage abroad with the card. I have been using my Zero debit card for a few years world wide and never had any charges and always got a better rate than exchanging cash. Any other type of Santander card has charges for foreign use. I have today rang them to confirm that I will still not be charged with my Zero Debit card so this info is up to date.

Ascot
Level Contributor
1,774 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Cash points in Gambia

Hi June2306, out of curiosity what rate did you get on the debit card and when ?

Whitstable, United...
Level Contributor
4,320 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Cash points in Gambia

Hi Paul. Not going to tg till Feb but used it in Greece in Oct and got 1.26 euro to pound. For changing sterling there in Oct it was 1.21 to the pound. Also use it in goa every year and again it always works out better than changing cash. They stopped doing the zero account some time ago and started the 123 account but that one doesn't give free foreign use. will come back with update for u when in tg.

Get answers to your questions about Kololi