We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

ebola,

Which Kololi hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
North Wales, United...
Level Contributor
30 posts
1 review
Save Topic
ebola,

Due to visit gambia november , just watched bbc news on ebola west africa . Pretty scary stuff.

South Yorkshire...
Level Contributor
4,291 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: ebola,

If you read how it is transmitted it is less scary. It is very scary if you catch it though as it is a killer. I have read that blood or other bodily fluids from an infected person have to be passed on so cleanliness and little or no person to person contact can and should keep you reasonably safe. Don't eat bush meat / road kill either.

It seems quite a few of the reported deaths have been caused by "witch doctors" persuading people to leave hospital for treatment by them. As the death rate is reported to be around 90% once infected I personally doubt if that has made much difference to the outcome.

Ascot
Level Contributor
1,759 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: ebola,

So the sweat of an infected person on a door handle could be enough so this should not be taken lightly.

banjul
Level Contributor
1,051 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: ebola,

It appears that the strategy resulting from yesterdays meeting of health ministers is to educate people rather than close borders. I really can't see how that will work in countries where they can't even educate people regarding birth control.

Retford, United...
Level Contributor
3,517 posts
56 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: ebola,

From the NHS FitForTravel website, 2 Jun 2014

www.fitfortravel.nhs.uk/news/newsdetail.aspx…

<<<<< Advice for Travellers

The risk of travellers becoming infected or developing Ebola haemorrhagic fever is extremely low, unless there has been direct contact with blood or bodily fluids of dead or living infected persons or animals. Healthcare workers are at particular risk, although practising appropriate infection control should effectively prevent transmission of disease in this setting. Travellers returning from tropical countries should always seek rapid medical attention if they develop flu-like symptoms (such as fever, headache, diarrhoea or general malaise) within three weeks after return, and be reminded to mention to their health care provider that they have recently travelled.>>>>

and from the NaTHNaC site, 3 June 2014

nathnac.org/pro/…ebola_030614.htm

<<< Advice for travellers

There has never been an imported case of Ebola reported in the United Kingdom [7]; the risk to most travellers to affected countries in West Africa is considered very low [5, 6]. The highest risks of infection are associated with caring for infected patients, particularly in hospital settings, unprotected exposure to contaminated bodily fluids, and unsafe medical procedures, including exposure to contaminated medical devices, such as needles and syringes.

It is recommended that the following precautions are taken by travellers to areas with on-going cases:

Avoid contact with symptomatic patients and their bodily fluids

Avoid contact with corpses and/or bodily fluids from deceased patients

Avoid close contact with live or dead wild animals (including monkeys, forest antelopes, rodents and bats)

Avoid consumption of "bush meat"

Wash and peel fruits and vegetables before consumption

Practise safe sex

Follow strict hand washing routines [8].

Travellers who have been potentially exposed to Ebola virus should seek medical attention immediately if they experience any symptoms consistent with Ebola within the first 21 days of return to the UK.

Those who are providing medical care or are involved in the evaluation of an outbreak should observe strict barrier precautions. >>>>>>

Gloucester, United...
Level Contributor
88 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: ebola,

Paul - Ebola is only contagious when the person has symptoms so they'll be too ill to touch a door handle.

Ascot
Level Contributor
1,759 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: ebola,

I would not want to rely on that as what you say about having to have symptoms is untrue. For instance it is still infectious through sex for weeks after recovery of a male patient. Africans are also renowned for spitting which could be another potential method of transmission as well as sneezing.

Eton, United Kingdom
Level Contributor
2,185 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: ebola,

To continue what PEEDYC was saying, the uncontrolled danger is that when people have been taken from hospital by their well-meaning family, who have no knowlege of barrier nursing, they will not only probably die but infect others not least when the body is being prepared traditionally for burial.

I'm not confident that any of the friends I know could be relied on to genuinely understand the danger and rigorously apply the precautions if it ever came. Let's hope Gambia is lucky and spared.

Ascot
Level Contributor
1,759 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: ebola,

A US man is now on quarantine in Ghana with suspected Ebola after having visited Sierra Leone.

Manchester
Level Contributor
2 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: ebola,

I am so scared of this virus I am considering cancelling my November holiday and am prepared to lose my £400 deposit. This would be our fourth visit in two years. we go into a school and help them out with repairs, stationary, books etc. I dont think the FO will put a halt on flights there unless there are several deaths.

Bakau, Gambia
Level Contributor
3,319 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: ebola,

Be carefull you don't get knocked down on the way to cancel your holiday or indeed be involved in a bad car accident ,How many people have been killed on UK roads this week and its only Tuesday ,

Get answers to your questions about Kololi
Recent Conversations