We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Agua Azul, Lake Yojoa, Honduras

Which Tela hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Antigua, Guatemala
Level Contributor
16 posts
53 reviews
Save Topic
Agua Azul, Lake Yojoa, Honduras

I'm anticipating a trip to Honduras in Feb 2006 and hope to spend a few days birding on Lake Yojoa.

I've tried to phone Hotel Agua Azul on the lake several times, but I sometimes get

"this number is out of service" messages. Thus far I cannot get through.

Has anyone stayed there recently and if so, what number did you use to reach them? Are they still in business?

If we're unable to reach them by phone, do you think we'd be able to get accomodations if we just show up without a reservation?

Thank you so much!

La Ceiba, Honduras
Level Contributor
557 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Agua Azul, Lake Yojoa, Honduras

June -

The best number I can come up with is 011-504-991-7244 which appears to be a cellular number. This is from Honduras Tips Magazine.

Good luck!

Charlie Meador, Coco Pando, La Ceiba, Honduras

Miami, Florida
1 post
Save Reply
2. Re: Agua Azul, Lake Yojoa, Honduras

If you still need to rent a place in Lake Yojoa. Please email me I have a small cottage in Agua Azul Sierra, two miles from Hotel Agua Azul. I can rent the place for one week or more. email me to:

hmaribel@bellsouth.net Thanks,

Guatemala City...
Level Contributor
682 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Agua Azul, Lake Yojoa, Honduras

Try this number 504-992-8928 or 991-7244 also a fax number in san pedro sula. 553-4823 or email hotelaguaazul.com

good luck

Antigua, Guatemala
Level Contributor
16 posts
53 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Agua Azul, Lake Yojoa, Honduras

Hola Ebohlik!

Thank you so much for your help. I did reach Agua Azul by telephone once, but I would like to confirm by e-mail. The e-mail address you indicated doesn't have an "@" sign in it anywhere so it doesn't work. Do you have another one?

Also, I wonder if you might advise me about security. I'd read warnings about women being attacked at "waterfalls" at Santa Ruinas (?) area and a recommendation not to go except with a group. We plan to visit Pulhapnzak after Lago Yojoa. Do you know if this is an area where we should only travel with a tour & guide as well?

Likewise, toward the end of our trip we plan to spend a few days in Tela at the Hotel Sherwood. From what I've read, the "safe" (crime-wise) beach in Tela is Villas Telamar, but most of my sources are several years old. I know that Tela has taken dramatic steps to increase policing and tourist safety.

Would you say that it is relatively "safe" to sunbathe on the beach outside of hotels that are slightly further south, like Sherwood, or do think we should drive to Villas Telamar area to do our sunbathing and swimming?

I'm not a fearful traveler (I'm from the heart of Philadelphia and now live in Washington DC, so I know what it's like to be in higher crime areas), but just like in DC, I think it's most savvy to simply "know where you're going before you go" and really listen to the experiences of those who are most familiar.

Muchas gracias! Your help is much appreciated.

--Linda Juneau

Antigua, Guatemala
Level Contributor
16 posts
53 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Agua Azul, Lake Yojoa, Honduras

Oops! My apologies - I meant eholbik.

Guatemala City...
Level Contributor
682 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Agua Azul, Lake Yojoa, Honduras

Linda, (Juneaupup)

Dont worry about the spelling..i do it all the time..

ok regarding the email address: hotelaguaazul@emv.hn sorry about that.

I havent been to that area with the waterfalls so i couldnt say... but im sure with a guide you should be fine.

Regarding TELA... its my favorite beach and getaway..i havent stayed at Sherwood hotels... most of friends have stayed at Villas de Telamar which they loved....

I have visited Tela Beach club (www.hondshores.com) which is great... but usually when i go the beach i go to the area called Miami or Tornabe... its a secluded area just outside of Tela.. there are no crowds and you can drive the car close to the beach. There are some huts that you rent for like $3.00 and its amazing... i feel safe... otherwise i go to Teal Beach club and enjoy their beachfront (although you have to pay to use the pool)..we can order drinks or eat lunch there.

The area of Miami/Tornabe has furture plans for 2 large hotels (Westin) that will develop several years down the road. The area borders the park reserve of Puntal Sal.

Maybe the first day you can check out the hotels beach front.. and they decide how comfortable you feel to explore other areas.

Good luck and let me know if you have any other questions.

Get answers to your questions about Tela