We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

1 day visit to Puerto Cortes

Dorset
Level Contributor
45 posts
25 reviews
Save Topic
1 day visit to Puerto Cortes

We will be visiting Puerto Cortes on the MV Voyager in mid-January. Our current schedule gives us 12 hours in port. Does anyone have any suggestions as to what we will be able to do/see in that time? Is the port within walking distance of the town? Any suggestions will be gratefully received. Thank you.

10 replies to this topic
Utila, Honduras
Destination Expert
for Utila
Level Contributor
2,936 posts
317 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: 1 day visit to Puerto Cortes

i'm surprised a cruise ship would stop at puerto cortes. a very unattractive and rather dirty place, its the main import/export port for honduras. perhaps you should look at tours via the ship, the port and town are not places you'd want to visit.

Dorset
Level Contributor
45 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: 1 day visit to Puerto Cortes

Well that's quickly answered...thank you for putting us right! We're still waiting to see what tours the ship has to offer but anything sounds better than the port - and we're there 12 hours....oh dear!!

Utila, Honduras
Destination Expert
for Utila
Level Contributor
2,936 posts
317 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: 1 day visit to Puerto Cortes

is the ship stopping at anywhere else in honduras? its a beautiful country, just not puerto cortes.

Wichita Falls, Texas
Level Contributor
9 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: 1 day visit to Puerto Cortes

Well, I strongly disagree with divenuts... Puerto Cortes may not be very beautiful town, but you will find things to do. A couple minutes from that town you will find Omoa.. There is a fort called San Fernando de Omoa. It is a beautiful fort built by the conquistadores in the 1800 with a lot of rich history. There is also biking in town, You may want to rent a bike and bike around there. There are a lot of good restaurants. The only thing it is not a touristic city, but you will find nice people and great food (very affordable also).

Utila, Honduras
Destination Expert
for Utila
Level Contributor
2,936 posts
317 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: 1 day visit to Puerto Cortes

so da_erazo you agree its not a beautiful town. what's to strongly disagree with? there are nice people and food everywhere.

Wichita Falls, Texas
Level Contributor
9 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: 1 day visit to Puerto Cortes

my mistake.. hehehe,...You are "RIGHT" divenuts... It is just a historical port town in Honduras--- but not well known for tourism..

Dorset
Level Contributor
45 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: 1 day visit to Puerto Cortes

Thank you all for your input - sadly our ship is only making the one stop in Honduras and obviously not the best by the sound of things. We will be arriving from Belize and then sailing on to Limon. A few years ago we were scheduled to visit Puerto Cortes but the Captain had a change of heart (!) and we ended up in Roatan which was actually quite nice. Anyway if we decide not to venture too far afield then the bikes and visit to the old Fort will suit us fine. We don't like alot of the tourist-orientated activities anyway so just meeting the locals will be great. Thanks again for all the valuable input.

Placencia, Belize
1 post
Save Reply
8. Re: 1 day visit to Puerto Cortes

So, Jenwren.. What did you end up doing in Puerto Cortes. I'm asking because I'm going next Friday for three days and I'm looking for something adventurous to do?

Thanks

Dorset
Level Contributor
45 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: 1 day visit to Puerto Cortes

Sorry Nazle,

I will not be there until January 2013. Perhaps you could let me know what you thought of it and what you recommend doing. I will only be there for one day

Thanks.

Seattle
Level Contributor
83 posts
99 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: 1 day visit to Puerto Cortes

I visited Puerto Cortes on a Holland America cruise 3 years ago. Spent a day there and think back from time to time on what a different port of call it was and that's what appealed to me.

Puerto Cortes is not Puerto Vallarta or Cabo by any means. Not a lot of glamour. Instead of posh, 5 star hotels lining the harbor you get lots of corrugated roofs all over the place because this is a working port. Its the main Central American port . Tons and tons of bannas and other goods are shipped out of there. I don't recall seeing any marinas with their usual collection of pleasure craft of the wealthy. So Puerto Cortes will be a disapointment to those wanting to shop row upon row of gift shops,t-shirt emporiums and buckets of beers watering holes.

I guess what I liked most about the place was it's lack of pretense. What you see is what you get and that, for me, was what make it rather special and unique from your usual Caribbean ports of call. Yeah, its a little on the grimy side but its inhabited by honest, hard working people. I thought it would be a terrific filming locations with all its steamyness and intrigue for one of those black and white 40's film noir shoots directed by ..say.John Huston and starring the likes of Bogie and Bacall.

I took a ship's tour that was billed as a bird watching excursion.

After a 45 minute bus ride to a jungle location our guide pointed out some feathered friends including humming birds. To be honest I didn't see as many birds as I thought I would but the guide was really great filling us in on the history of the area in a very informative and interesting way. The last part of the tour was a a refreshment break on the beach where we enjoyed fresh melons and beverages while an African dance troupe entertained us.

It was a short walk to town from where the ship was moored. While I didn't dine at any of the restaurants I was told by fellow cruisers who did that the food was very good and quite reasonably priced and that the locals were nice.

The highlight of my visit was spending a couple of hours on the stern of the promenade deck taking in all of the activity going on with crane loading and unloading. Of particular interest was the preparation for unloading of a little old car ferry with seemingly no ramp or special dock to unload its vehicles. When it backed its stern to the dock we onlookers couldn't imagine how it could drive the autos and trucks onto the deck as the vessel was a good 6 feet below the top of the dock. . But with the help of the incoming tide and the positioning of timbers the dock works and the ferry crew eventually got the job done.

Peurto Cortes may not be very touristy but I liked it. Furthermore, I don't think Peurto Cortes cares one way or the other.

Reply to: 1 day visit to Puerto Cortes
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Puerto Cortes