We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Chennai Ferry to Andamans

Chennai Ferry to Andamans

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

TripAdvisor staff removed this post at the original author's request.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 02 August 2015, 04:42
Belgium
Level Contributor
779 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Chennai Ferry to Andamans

You do not mention which vessel.

I travelled on the MV Akbar from Port Blair to Calcutta (more than twenty years ago). MV Akbar is one of the vessels that ply between Chennai, Port Blair and Calcutta. I had a “deluxe” cabin but it was still rather rough. There were two bunks, a desk and chair, and a private bathroom. You could compare the state of the cabine with what is now second or third A/C in the Indian trains. Although the ship had undergone a treatment against cockroaches just before it sailed from Madras (Chennai was called Madras at that time), there were plenty of coackroaches all over and as soon as you would switch on the light, you could see them flee away.

The food was good.

I don’t know whether the MV Akbar has had a facelift in the meantime.

Although comfort could be better, the journey has left an unforgettable memory! It was fantastic.

For more impressions on this journey by ship to/from Port Blair, I refer to the book “Slow boats to China” by Gavin Young.

India
Destination Expert
for Shimla, Manali, Kashmir, Shillong, Sikkim, Uttarakhand, Puri, Darjeeling, Kolkata (Calcutta), Himachal Pradesh, Srinagar, Dalhousie, India, Ladakh, Leh
Level Contributor
38,343 posts
52 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Chennai Ferry to Andamans

If possible, try for the flights.

Edited: 05 October 2010, 11:23
3. Re: Chennai Ferry to Andamans

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

India
Destination Expert
for Shimla, Manali, Kashmir, Shillong, Sikkim, Uttarakhand, Puri, Darjeeling, Kolkata (Calcutta), Himachal Pradesh, Srinagar, Dalhousie, India, Ladakh, Leh
Level Contributor
38,343 posts
52 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Chennai Ferry to Andamans

Log on www.cleartrip.com

you'll know everything about the fligts.

Edited: 05 October 2010, 13:05
Belgium
Level Contributor
779 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Chennai Ferry to Andamans

To be honest, and I do not want to be rude, if you calculate in terms of Western style “valuable time” and think of time at sea as “wasting time”, I sincerely think you should not even consider doing this journey by sea. These vessels are no luxury cruiseships. There is zero entertainment on board: the only entertainment are your fellow passengers and the steady thumping of the engines.

Moreover, if I remember correctly, you will travel in high monsoon season: that means you are in for severe rain storms and heavy seas. Are you ready for that?

6. Re: Chennai Ferry to Andamans

7. Re: Chennai Ferry to Andamans

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

Removed on: 06 April 2011, 05:17