We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

converter for electronics?

Which Hyderabad hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Orlando, FL
Level Contributor
10 posts
1 review
Save Topic
converter for electronics?

Haven't done much traveling abroad and this is first time to India. Coming from the US, will I need a specific type of converter to plug in my laptop, cell phone, etc?

Hyderabad, India
Destination Expert
for Hyderabad
Level Contributor
3,320 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: converter for electronics?

Yes you would need the converter because the sockets are different

Chennai
Destination Expert
for Chennai (Madras), Tamil Nadu
Level Contributor
2,994 posts
41 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: converter for electronics?

Hi

In India, we power our devices and appliances through 220 Volts of electrical current (mostly around the 50-60 Hz frequency)

Chargers / Adaptors of the latest Laptops, Mobiles, Digital Camera, Electric Shavers etc support dual voltage (110-220 Volts) and you may not need to worry about a voltage converter ( which is actually a simple step up or a step down transformer). Your current adaptors will clearly have a sticker confirming these.

Hence, all you need to worry about are the socket and the pin types. I presume, Florida, like most other cities is the USA, uses 2 Flat pins in most cases. In India, most of our smaller devices have 2 round pins and those (like laptops) use 3 Round pins. You will need a convertor for these sockets. A Universal travel adaptor will come in handy. You can pick up one of these on the inflight mall or on any of the electrical store either at Florida or at India,

regards

Rajan

Vancouver, Canada
Level Contributor
1,382 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: converter for electronics?

Hi my neighbor,

Yes. We use Type 'A' and Type 'B' while India uses Type 'D'.

For detaails, please see …wikipedia.org/wiki/AC_power_plugs_and_socke…

Orlando, FL
Level Contributor
10 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: converter for electronics?

Thank you all. That was very helpful.

Tina

5. Re: converter for electronics?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 05 March 2011, 05:18