We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Which mobile sim to buy?

Which Hyderabad hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Pakistan
Level Contributor
155 posts
165 reviews
Save Topic
Which mobile sim to buy?

I will be visiting India for about a week next month. I am wondering which would be the best economical mobile sim to buy? My requirements include cheap international calls/texts and mobile internet.

Also please tell me what are the requirements of buying a sim also prices. In addition if you can tell some good packages meeting my requirements.

Thanks

Kolkata (Calcutta...
Destination Expert
for Kolkata (Calcutta), Darjeeling, India
Level Contributor
8,350 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Which mobile sim to buy?

Airtel or Vodafone.

www.airtel.in

www.vodafone.in

Colombo, Sri Lanka
Destination Expert
for Sri Lanka
Level Contributor
52,059 posts
176 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Which mobile sim to buy?

Be prepared for a lengthy process, the forms to be filled in are quite a few now (security fears). In the end I decided to put my prepaid SIM (Idea) on the name of my Indian friend, with his address, as the checks for tourists were even more red tape than for him. Is same for all telcos hence also Airtel and Vodafone ;-(

All the best,

<Erik> & [Sandya]

Pakistan
Level Contributor
155 posts
165 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Which mobile sim to buy?

Oh so what do you suggest I do? I was planning on buying a sim as soon as I landed but there is still more confusion. I will be going to about 4 cities and at vodafone site it says even local has roaming, sims vary from city to city and I am totally confused about this thing. Can someone please clarify things. Thanks

Colombo, Sri Lanka
Destination Expert
for Sri Lanka
Level Contributor
52,059 posts
176 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Which mobile sim to buy?

Well no problem buying, BUT don't try at or near airport; better go to first hotel and buy at a shop nearby. This way you have time to arrange the needed paperwork etc. And if you have Pakistan passport be prepared for extra delays, that's one of the nationalities the security measures/checks unfortunately will be strictest for...

Indeed generally in India there is roaming. A SIM has cheap rates for one state of the country and more expensive rates (roaming) for others, but still you can top up countrywide if the operator sells countrywide; e.g. I topped up a borrowed Tata Docomo SIM from Maharashtra in Agra which is in another state. Will try with my new Maharashtra Idea card soon :-) Vodafone and Airtel for sure work countrywide.

All the best,

<Erik>

Johannesburg, South...
Level Contributor
20 posts
97 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Which mobile sim to buy?

Sims are quite cheap like 25rupees at times,depends what they come preloaded with...vodaphone or airtel would be a better choice as when they roam they have network coverage countrywide,and have good international partners so cheaper call rates..if you have a smartphone just load a data bundle which is very cheap and communicate via whatsapp or Skype etc ,or bbm ...

Pakistan
Level Contributor
155 posts
165 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Which mobile sim to buy?

Thanks Erik & Muhammed that clarifies things a bit.

Data bundle seems to be a good option as I do have a smartphone.

How easily is wifi available in public places and Delhi & Hyderabad airports?

7. Re: Which mobile sim to buy?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 18 December 2013, 03:15