We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Do I tip front desk staff at hotel at end of stay

Maplewood, Minnesota
Level Contributor
6 posts
30 reviews
Save Topic
Do I tip front desk staff at hotel at end of stay

Not being used to tipping how should I tip at end of stay.

Restaurant staff for breakfasts (breakfast cost was included)

Room cleaners

Front desk

Anyone else?

I could afford maybe 1000 rupees in total

New Delhi, India
Level Contributor
1,468 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Do I tip front desk staff at hotel at end of stay

Namaste!

Restaurant Waiter: INR 200

Room Cleaner: INR 200-300

Baggage boy: INR 200

Front Desk: Not required

Thumbs up for you. :)

Maplewood, Minnesota
Level Contributor
6 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Do I tip front desk staff at hotel at end of stay

Namaste

Thank you

Hyderabad, India
Destination Expert
for Hyderabad
Level Contributor
3,650 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Do I tip front desk staff at hotel at end of stay

No need of paying of above amounts until unless you are very much satisfied with a specific person. Make it max of Rs. 100. Being a local person of Hyderabad I can confirm max Rs. 100 no other way.

Mumbai, India
Destination Expert
for Mumbai, New Delhi, Kochi (Cochin), Chennai (Madras), India
Level Contributor
12,672 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Do I tip front desk staff at hotel at end of stay

Tipping is not mandatory but it is considered good form and is usually expected.

At restaurants you can tip around 10% of the meal value. Sometimes the tip / service charge is added already to the bill, please check. Not to be confused with service tax. If it is an inexpensive restaurant, then a higher % tip is fine.

For bellmen at hotels, I don't usually tip. For porters, mostly I travel with one bag and I just take it myself. But in some hotels especially heritage hotels there are no lifts and bags have to be carried, in which case I tip, and that depends on the number of bags etc. For 2 people on a trip to India with big suitcases at least 100 rupees would be good.

There is no practice of tipping front desk staff.

Some hotels place a box in a visible area on the reception/front desk and its a common tipping pool. In such cases you are not expected to tip individual staff separately.

Mumbai, India
Destination Expert
for Mumbai, New Delhi, Kochi (Cochin), Chennai (Madras), India
Level Contributor
12,672 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Do I tip front desk staff at hotel at end of stay

When breakfast is included in the package, I don't usually see anyone tipping the staff at the breakfast restaurant.

Jaipur, India
Level Contributor
2,351 posts
85 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Do I tip front desk staff at hotel at end of stay

It is not mandatory, but still if you want to give them something then you can leave tip in a envelop.

7. Re: Do I tip front desk staff at hotel at end of stay

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 28 December 2014, 05:17