We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

What does it mean?

Rovigo
Level Contributor
19 posts
Save Topic
What does it mean?

Hi, i'm renting a car in Dallas to travel to the White Sands, i found Enterprise has the best rates but at this condition:

MILEAGE IS UNLIMITED WITHIN TEXAS, ARKANSAS, OKLAHOMA, AND LOUISIANA. IF TRAVELING OUTSIDE OF THESE STATES, MILEAGE WILL BE CHARGED AT 200 MILES FREE DAY, 1500 FREE WEEK, AND 3000 FREE MONTH. EACH ADDITIONAL MILE WILL BE .25 MILE.

What does it mean and why this restriction?

There are about 220miles from TX border to Alamogordo so it's not a negligible detail if i come back the same day...

I'm italian so i'm sorry but i'm not practical.

Thanks

Albuquerque, New...
Level Contributor
2,169 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: What does it mean?

Well, first of all I have to comment on your phrase, "if I come back the same day." Since Dallas is in Northeast Texas, and White Sands in Southern New Mexico, just above El Paso, Texas...your drive from Dallas to White Sands would be approximately 650 miles (or 1100 Kilometers) each way. It would be next to impossible to drive to White Sands and return to Dallas the "same day." I do not know your entire trip plans, but if you flew into El Paso, you would only be 100 miles from White Sands, (and just mentioning) fabulous Carlsbad Caverns, about 200 miles (from White Sands), or 170 from El Paso.

Enterprise is one of the best rental companies, but it is also one of the companies that really gouge you when you take a vehicle beyond the rental state, or its neighboring states. New Mexico is of course also a bordering state to Texas, but "West Texas." If you are planning to arrive in Dallas, and then return the rental in Dallas, you'll need to find another rental car company that does not have the restriction attached. You need "Unlimited Mileage," to ANYWHERE you wish to drive. I'm sure an Enterprise rental in El Paso, would allow you to take it into New Mexico however.

P.S. I know practical Italians! :-)

Marina, California
Destination Expert
for Tucson
Level Contributor
6,210 posts
100 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: What does it mean?

No, Enterprise does charge you mileage if you rent from most Texas cities and drive into New Mexico. Texas is the end of their defined region, and they also will charge you for mileage within Texas if you rent in New Mexico. Enterprise additionally outright prohibits travel in more outlying states and, if you are pulled over inside these states, your car will be towed and your contract voided. Yeah, kinda scary.

You need to clear it with the office first but, if you go through El Paso to get to White Sands, then it's under 100 miles one-way that you'd be driving through New Mexico and, thus, would technically be within the bounds of the contract.

But, if you really want to do this, I say rent from a different company. Budget and Dollar are often the same, or roughly the same price as Enterprise and have unlimited, unrestricted mileage. Personally, I rent from Budget all the time, have driven their cars all over, and have never been charged for any mileage.

Rovigo
Level Contributor
19 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: What does it mean?

First of all thank you.

Obviously I'm not having 600miles x2 the same day but if I arrive to the White Sands in the morning and leave in the evening it will mean exceeding the mileage limit. Renting a car in Dallas is the easiest way to me since i'm staying there and Enterprise in Grapevine seems to have much cheaper prices than the others.

As you suggest via I20-I10 (Dallas-Odessa-El Paso) I would have to run only 80 miles within NM but it would be 100 miles longer... Bad idea or still possible?

Consider that also 600miles are scary to me so it dosen't sound much different since in Italy distances are long way shorter!! :)

Marina, California
Destination Expert
for Tucson
Level Contributor
6,210 posts
100 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: What does it mean?

Sorry, I just want to clarify your plan: leave in the morning from Dallas, arrive at Alamogordo in the evening, go to White Sands in the morning, drive back to Dallas. Is that correct?

If so, why are you so intent on visiting White Sands? It's a great place, but I certainly wouldn't drive all the way from Dallas for just a half day there.

What about Carlsbad Caverns?

The I-20 to I-10 route is longer but will actually save you time. However, it's about as scenic and interesting as a brick wall.

If it were me, and had the desire to drive 12 hours one-way for 2 hours at a national monument, I would clarify when I rent the car that I'm taking it to El Paso, then drive the more scenic back road (US 82) through New Mexico. The difference in mileage is negligible and you'll see a lot more.

The main purpose behind these policies is so that people like me don't take cars on 4000+ mile drives (which I've done a couple times) by introducing the possibility of significant extra charges.

Albuquerque, New...
Level Contributor
2,169 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: What does it mean?

Thank you for your clarifications Colinaz. But, when I inquired locally with Enterprise about my "possible" need for a rental to Kansas, I was told Colorado, Texas Panhandle, West Texas, Oklahoma panhandle, and Northern Arizona would be OK for a rental out of Albuquerque, but not into Kansas, which is not a bordering state. Of course, you talk to different people, you get different answers sometimes. Also, that was probably 2 years ago, so things might have changed. What hasn't?

I would also remind all of "we" car renters from time to time, that some companies are now placing GPS devices in their cars, so they know where their cars are at all times...i.e. no cheating outside the boundaries.

If Vittorio is planning to drive in two days to and from White Sands, it's possible, but as both of us said, if you come that far, you'd certainly want to take in Carlsbad Caverns also...if not more of New Mexico.

Perhaps there is a reason to fly into D/FW, but if you are not seeing anyone or anything in the Dallas area, you'd still be better off continuing on to El Paso, and rent your car there.

CAZ: Thanks also for the info on Budget, and the other company. I'll try them if I need to make my Kansas trip.

Rovigo
Level Contributor
19 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: What does it mean?

I'm not sure what exactly would be my trip plan, i made my question now but i'm having this trip around 10-20 august when i will be in Dallas for a month.

I hope to see many places within Tx and since I quite love photography i found the White Sands really interesting and worth a 700miles drive :) Actually my plan was to drive from Dallas in the night and arrive there next morning, visit the White Sands, have diner/night in Alamogordo and then come back, but i'm just guessing! And if I20 is really as scenic as a brick wall it will be better to follow another route for the way back :)

Albuquerque, New...
Level Contributor
2,169 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: What does it mean?

I would just add that White Sands will usually be over 100F. on August afternoons. You'd definitely want to visit in the early morning, especially if you are hiking up and down the dunes in search of a great photograph. Also, you can easily get lost in among the dunes, with no landmarks. Do not waunder too far from your car...also bring water with you, there is none available deep inside the dunes, at the end of the loop road.

Also, bring a cap or hat, and "dark" sunglasses!

If you could somehow manage 3 days / 2 nights out of Dallas, it would make your trip much easier, and also give you time to see Carlsbad Caverns as well as White Sands National Monument. (Drive between them via Artesia (35 miles north of Carlsbad), Cloudcroft, and Alamogordo...pretty scenery, pine forests.) There are many accomodations in Alamogordo. White Sands is only about 30 minutes west of there.

westtexas
Level Contributor
176 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: What does it mean?

if you drive from Dallas toEl Paso to go to Alamogordo, you are going way out of the way.

Out of Dallas/Fort Worth, go west on I-20.

take 87 N. out of Big Spring, Texas to Lamesa, Tx.

take 180/62 west through Seminole, Tx to Hobbs, NM.

you could either stay on 180/62 and go through Carlsbad, NM or continue West through Artesia, NM.

then through cloudcroft and down to Alamogordo.

we live in Abilene, Tx and go to Cloudcroft every 4th of July. It is right at 7 hrs. it takes about 40 minutes to drive from Cloudcroft to Alomogordo, because of the mountain road and traffic. but it is a beautiful drive. you would be cheating yourself if you went to Alomogordo and not cloudcroft. ( if you went via El Paso)

it is fun to be in cloudcroft and Alamo the same day because of the approx 40 degree temp difference,

last year on our way to Cloudcroft it was 103 degrees in Artesia and 45 degrees in cloudcroft!

enjoy your trip whichever way you go! I think it is neat to get off the main roads. Texas roads are a lot better maintained than most other states. but all are marked well as to not get lost/confused. as long as you have a map.

P.S. the space museum in Alamo is o.k. if you are there go, but most of the "interactive" things were not working last July.

If you go to cloudcroft, eat at the Texas pit. the BBQ is pretty good, but the banana pudding is very good!

westtexas
Level Contributor
176 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: What does it mean?

forgot to say, one other option, is flying from Dallas to El Paso, then renting a car to drive. you could prob fly for a couple hundred dollars, but you would miss a lot of "wide open spaces" not sure what your style is. have fun whaterver you decide.

Rovigo
Level Contributor
19 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: What does it mean?

Thank you morewesttexas, nice suggestions!

I'm sure your route would be much better and the temp difference sounds really nice!

I think i will take that route at least on the way back