We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

How is the Route 54 from Santa Rosa to Almogordo?

Which Alamogordo hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Level Contributor
24 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
How is the Route 54 from Santa Rosa to Almogordo?

I am going from Santa Rosa to Los Crusas. Is it OK to take route 54 or is that a bad road lots of mountians.?

Please advise Thanks Bonny

12 replies to this topic
Albuquerque, New...
Level Contributor
2,169 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: How is the Route 54 from Santa Rosa to Almogordo?

US54 is a good, 2 lane, U.S. highway. While you will be seeing mountains, you will not be driving in any. The only bit higher is Organ Pass, between Alamogordo and Las Cruces, and even this has a very gentle incline and decline.

The mountains with pines, and "cool" are in the Ruidoso, Cloudcroft areas to the east of US54.

Level Contributor
24 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: How is the Route 54 from Santa Rosa to Almogordo?

Thank you sooooo much for your help. This will save me about 90 miles and having to stop in Albaquerque. I hate the traffic in that town. Wow I am getting excited about the short cut. Thanks Again. bonny

Albuquerque, New...
Destination Expert
for New Mexico
Level Contributor
1,980 posts
127 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: How is the Route 54 from Santa Rosa to Almogordo?

We drove down 54 from Carizzozo to Alamogordo about 4 weeks ago. They are working on a good portion of the road, and in places it is rough, and slow going. But, still it is much shorter than going through Albuquerque.

Level Contributor
24 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: How is the Route 54 from Santa Rosa to Almogordo?

Are there any motels between santa rosa and almogordo? I am coming from oklahoma and all the way to alamorodo is over 500 miles . I would like to stop somewhere inbetween I-40 and alamogordo if possiable

Santa Fe, New Mexico
Destination Expert
for Santa Fe, Mesa Verde National Park, Boulder, New Mexico
Level Contributor
20,865 posts
52 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: How is the Route 54 from Santa Rosa to Almogordo?

There are very few towns between Santa Rosa and Alamogordo! The drive between the 2 will be about 3.5 hours or so. There are a few small motels in Vaughn, Oak Tree Inn probably the nicest of the group, but not saying much. Possibly a motel in Corona, not sure if it is still open. Carizozo has a motel.

This is a very remote drive. Very few gas stations, restaurants etc. I'd stay in Santa Rosa or drive all the way to Alamogordo.

Level Contributor
24 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: How is the Route 54 from Santa Rosa to Almogordo?

If I maybe went from Santa Rosa it would be better to go down 54 to carrizozo across 60 to I-25. That way I would not have to go thru almogordo at all. Do you know that route?

What do you think.? Im going to Tucson, But I give up on this tonight , I'm going to bed. LOL

Santa Fe, New Mexico
Destination Expert
for Santa Fe, Mesa Verde National Park, Boulder, New Mexico
Level Contributor
20,865 posts
52 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: How is the Route 54 from Santa Rosa to Almogordo?

You could do that but still no where to stay once you hit I25 southbound until you get to Truth or Consequences and you could already be in Alamogordo if you head south from Carrizozo.

Honestly if you want places to stay then go via Albuquerque. If you stay in Abq Uptown area just off I40 in the eastern part of town and then early in the day head south, you should be just fine. I really don't find Abq to be that bad of a city to drive through. I've been to many other big western cities, this is easy!

Albuquerque, New...
Destination Expert
for New Mexico
Level Contributor
1,980 posts
127 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: How is the Route 54 from Santa Rosa to Almogordo?

I agree with CasaAzul. Albuquerque is easy to get through and going on the Interstates gives you more food and lodging options. US 54 is really quite remote with only a couple of small towns along the way. The really easy hotel access to I-40 and I-25 would be the ones near University and Menaul. Several to choose from: LaQuinta, Holiday Inn Express, Fairfield Inn, Hilton and Clubhouse Inn. Even tho there have been some comments that it isn't a safe area, I have worked there over 5 years, and haven't seen any problems at any of the better hotels in the area. The ones I mentioned above are quite nice properties.

Denver
Level Contributor
2 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: How is the Route 54 from Santa Rosa to Almogordo?

We are planning a trip to Ruidoso for a softball tournament. We are from Denver and planning on taking the cutoff south of Las Vegas south rather than taking I-25. Is this an easy highway to navigate, and a two-lane highway? No one from the team has been there before. I know taking this route would save us a lot of miles and about 2 hours driving time. Any suggestions would be appreciated

Albuquerque, New...
Destination Expert
for New Mexico
Level Contributor
1,980 posts
127 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: How is the Route 54 from Santa Rosa to Almogordo?

It is 2 lane all the way. You have several miles of state highway between I-40 and Vaughn. Haven't been over this road in several years, but it should be o.k. Just remember, not much between Las Vegas and Ruidoso on 54 except Vaughn and Carrizozo. so make sure you have plenty of gas.

Reply to: How is the Route 54 from Santa Rosa to Almogordo?
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted