We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

india transit visa

Glasgow
2 posts
Save Topic
india transit visa

I am travelling to Nepal via Delhi, we could not get flights booked straight through so we land in Delhi, collect our bags and check in again for our flight to Kathmandu. We have a 5 hour window from landing to departing, does anyone have any idea what type of visa we need? Will it be a transit visa?

Kolkata (Calcutta...
Destination Expert
for Kolkata (Calcutta), Darjeeling, India
Level Contributor
8,349 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: india transit visa

Yes you will require a transit visa. Apply at VFS Uk. More info can be found in the Goa forum.

Kolkata (Calcutta...
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
8,349 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: india transit visa

Just a mention, if you are flying back the same way, ask for a dual entry transit visa. If you can get the ground staff of your connecting airline to collect your bags for you and check them onto your next flight, you may not be needing a visa at all as you will not be leaving the transit area. But that is iffy, safer to have a transit visa.

Cavan Ireland
2 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: india transit visa

Hi, Im doing similar in November and I was wondering since both my flights arrive/leave from Terminal 3 (arrive on Etihad and depart with Air India) do I need any kind of visa? i do need to collect my bags from Etihad and check them in with Air India, would that mean I need a transit visa?

Thanks for your help.

Kolkata (Calcutta...
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
8,349 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: india transit visa

Hi,

As I mentioned above, contact the ground staff of Air India as soon as you arrive and ask them to transfer your bags. You will not require a visa.as you are not leaving the airport transit lounge.

Cavan Ireland
2 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: india transit visa

Hi,

One other thing I wasn't clear about, we do need to check in for our Nepalese flight in Delhi, we wont be booked straight through as its a different airline (we have an e-ticket), Both are Terminal 3 though (international).

Does that change things?

If not, Is it possible that our bags would end up outside the airport transit lounge if we couldnt get the ground staff to transfer?

Thanks again.

6. Re: india transit visa

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 16 December 2013, 14:17