We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

booking trains from Goa to Trivandrum

Level Contributor
7 posts
14 reviews
booking trains from Goa to Trivandrum

Dearest travelling buddies,

I and two friends are travelling from Goa to Kerela on 9th Jan. I am going to stop in Mangalore for a wedding and they are going to stay on an go to Kerela. I will join them on like 11th.

1. how can I book tickets? I have registered with IRCTC but it is not letting me log in. I tried using other sights but am struggling to make this happen. different sights keep saying there is nothing available??

2. Should I try and fly from Mangalore to Kerela as I want to get there fairly quickly after. is that real and possible or should I just get back on the train.

any advice appreciated

9 replies to this topic
Australia
Level Contributor
828 posts
76 reviews
1. Re: booking trains from Goa to Trivandrum

In order to book train tickets on the IRCTC website you need to follow the steps here to the letter:

https://www.seat61.com/India.htm

You can only use other booking sites, if you are correctly registered with IRCTC.

Your date of travel is 9 Jan, which could mean you can't get confirmed seats/berths particularly for overnight trains. These days you have to book as far ahead as possible (120 days) to make sure to get tickets. The other option is the so called foreign tourist quota, which is available at railway stations in bigger cities in India.

Perhaps in your case flying is better...

Edited: 15 December 2017, 22:43
Leicester, United...
Level Contributor
1,411 posts
20 reviews
2. Re: booking trains from Goa to Trivandrum

ok youll have to google this but they always hold so many tickets back then sell them a few days in advance, only you will have to go to the train station First look for tourist quota that's tickets for tourists only and then theres TATKAL that's like a last minute booking but check them out And try to give a day each way of your needed booking then you should be ok

Sharon

Bhopal, India
Level Contributor
976 posts
3 reviews
3. Re: booking trains from Goa to Trivandrum

Try via another browser, delete cookies, history etc.

Raj,

Train Ticket Please

Winnipeg, Canada
Level Contributor
6,214 posts
302 reviews
4. Re: booking trains from Goa to Trivandrum

Hi Derek,

I would suggest forgetting the nightmare of the ITRC and just book with a reliable ticket agent like Raj in post #3. He is the train expert on the India train forum and is very helpful and trustworthy.

Have a look at his reviews - https://www.tripadvisor.ca/ShowTopic-g293860…

You can contact him thru his profile and send him a PM. Hope that helps!

Australia
Level Contributor
828 posts
76 reviews
5. Re: booking trains from Goa to Trivandrum

>I would suggest forgetting the nightmare of the ITRC <

I don't understand, that people find it so difficult. Follow the steps to register correctly and once you are registered it's a very convenient way of booking tickets..

Winnipeg, Canada
Level Contributor
6,214 posts
302 reviews
6. Re: booking trains from Goa to Trivandrum

From what I understand, a lot of the problems lately are centred around payment issues for some foreigners , customer service (or complete lack there of) and also ticket purchase limits. Personally, I don’t mind paying a tiny fee on top of a cheap train ticket to skip not bothering with going through that. It’s worth it to me. 😀

India
Destination Expert
for Mumbai, India
Level Contributor
5,441 posts
8 reviews
7. Re: booking trains from Goa to Trivandrum

I book 3 or 4 tickets every month on IRCTC's website and have never faced any problems.

London
Level Contributor
9,065 posts
54 reviews
8. Re: booking trains from Goa to Trivandrum

I also encountered no problems registering and paying for tickets. All straightforward.

Rotherham, United...
Level Contributor
6,740 posts
110 reviews
9. Re: booking trains from Goa to Trivandrum

After taking the trouble to register with IRCTC , emailing a copy of my passport ,etc. still couldn't get their site or third party sites to work using the registration details. So I eventually gave up trying. Using the website is not the same for none Indian residents as it is for the locals. Before you had to be registered I used sites like Cleartrip to book trains with no problems using my own (foreign ) card when IRCTC wouldn't accept this form of payment , now I can't book trains anywhere.

Edited: 17 December 2017, 08:02
Reply to: booking trains from Goa to Trivandrum
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted