We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Calangute or Candolim?

Scotland, UK
5 posts
Save Topic
Calangute or Candolim?

Has Calangute lost its charm? Was there 5 years ago, is Candolim a safer bet? Love the beach shacks and local bustle, but don't want to be in a tourist trap!

Travel Photography Walking Tours of Goa by Francisco de Souza
Cultural Tours, Walking Tours, Private Tours, Sightseeing Tours, Photography Tours
Sightseeing Tours
The Bicycle Trip
City Tours, Cultural Tours, Bike Tours, Sightseeing Tours, Day Trips
Bangalore, India
Level Contributor
409 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Calangute or Candolim?

I didn't find much difference between the 2 places, really. My guess is that a lot has changed in 5 years, but I dunno. I just saw that no one responded to you so thought I'd try to give you what little advice I have. The beach shacks are everywhere now, so if that's your only requirement, you could go north, south, or central. North of Anjuna is more quiet and south of Sinquerim/Ft Aguada. Anjuna still has the local wednesday market and I preferred it to Candolim, Baga, Calangute, etc. I think that central part is very touristed by the package tourists. Maybe the local Goa expert will have more insight than me....

Level Contributor
272 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Calangute or Candolim?

Sorry fo all those Candolim fans, but I don't think Calangute ha ever been particularly charming! Candolim is a much safer bet, particulalry the quiet end towards Sinquerim/Fort Aguada. (Of course, it's all a matter of persinal opinion)

Scotland, UK
5 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Calangute or Candolim?

Thanks to Turleyhead and Goagirl..will probably go with the Candolim bet!

Barry, United...
Destination Expert
for Goa
Level Contributor
2,028 posts
119 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Calangute or Candolim?

bit late in a response to your query I know but have never stayed IN Calungute or IN Candolim, in the 9 years Ive been going have always stayed off and around Holiday road which is mid way between Calungute and Candolim loads of hotels in that area, The Osborne, Kamat and Dona Tereza Tio Carmen? on main road just past St Anthonys Chapel coming from Calungute, Holiday Road is the next right past Kamat, down this Road are several hotels Shuriti being one then leading to the Goan Heritage, there are also numerous guest houses, The Whitehouse (stayed there for 4 years fab place) Maggies newly opened last year(owner Simon is lovely as is his restaurant). as well as too many others to mention

Hope this is helpful but midway between the two means you can choose which direction YOU prefer

Good luck

Follow this conversation!
Get notified when a new reply comes in.
Follow now