We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Book to read on beach: Shantaram

Manchester UK
Level Contributor
429 posts
96 reviews
Save Topic
Book to read on beach: Shantaram

If you're looking for a book to fill the long beach hours between breakfast and lunch and lunch and sundown then try Shantaram by Gregory David Roberts.

It's 1000 pages long but a real page turner. Although it's based mainly in Mumbai it's a good novel to read whilst in Goa.

Take a look at the reviews on Amazon which give you an idea of the different opinions on the content and author's writing style; we really enjoyed it.

Denmark
Level Contributor
32 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Book to read on beach: Shantaram

Can't agree more. It's a classic.

UK
Level Contributor
477 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Book to read on beach: Shantaram

I agree a fantastic read. Managed to read it in a week last year while in Goa. Past it on to several friends all of who have enjoyed.

Redditch, United...
Level Contributor
10,228 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Book to read on beach: Shantaram

1000 pages, might end up paying excess baggage with that one.....lol

Epsom, Surrey
Level Contributor
27 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Book to read on beach: Shantaram

Thanks janeywhit. My son bought me the book for Christmas. I was going to read it after my holiday but will bring it with me. Any excess baggage charges I'll forward to you.

Regards

London
Level Contributor
301 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Book to read on beach: Shantaram

I bought the book at the airport and read 5 pages of it while I was away! I was too busy drinking, talking, snoozing etc. I agree though, it is a great book and I'm powering my way through it now.

Wales, United...
Level Contributor
746 posts
126 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Book to read on beach: Shantaram

My son took it and said it's a really good book to read while in Goa.

7. Re: Book to read on beach: Shantaram

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 17 October 2009, 21:19