We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Trip Report Gokarna (I know it's not in Goa but...)

Manchester UK
Level Contributor
429 posts
96 reviews
Save Topic
Trip Report Gokarna (I know it's not in Goa but...)

We left our rucksacks at Abbas and took the train down to GOKARNA in Karnataka state (16 rupees each, every day at 1504 hours from Chaudi). It’s a busy passenger train and only an hours trip. The taxi into town cost 150 r and we had to fill in a "solemn declaration of the true reflection of our any position in Gokarna" at a police department check point (fair enoughski). Ah bless they just wanted to make our stay “comfotable” and “joyful” or that’s what it says on the “Important Advice to Tourists and Pilgrims” form.

We ignored point 13 on the form – “Try to avoid your movements in long lonely road after sunset, which approaches beach where there is a poor light”. Yes really we ignored this and walked through the (not particularly lonely) Bazaar and on to the very Indian main beach (think poor light, cows, mosquitos, clothed joyful pilgrims jumping around in the sea, music from a big speaker thingy, signs warning not to risk one’s life by venturing in the fully dangerous ocean currents and a kwality Walls Ice Cream cart).

We got a room at the Gokarna International Hotel, probably the premier budget address in town but still resembles something out of Midnight Express. There was a big concrete sort of box three storys high and adjacent to the staircase with brown water stains kind of dripping down it; great feature. We looked at a few rooms and they were all cleanish and ok (ours had two balconies and not many fleas, it was 475 r a deal!).

We had a slap up (vegetarian) meal at a rooftop café surrounded by emaciated looking travellers in dark shades and vegetarian russian babes (could have been worse I suppose…) which set us back 130 rupees. We bought some insense and some rehydration salts cos I felt thirsty and went to bed. Rock n Roll!

I loved Hampi and its atmosphere but Gokarna wasn’t really for us and we never got to see the beautiful Om Beach since we got out of there on the next train home in the morning. Lightweights? Nevermind, Benaulim and a beer with my name on was calling! Guess I’ll never write a Shantaram…

London, United...
Level Contributor
441 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Trip Report Gokarna (I know it's not in Goa but...)

I love your reports - they're very witty. Makes a refreshing change.

Mumbai (Bombay...
Destination Expert
for Mumbai (Bombay), New Delhi, Kochi (Cochin), Chennai (Madras), India
Level Contributor
12,585 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Trip Report Gokarna (I know it's not in Goa but...)

I'm curious - what is this police check point form business? This is the first I've ever heard of anything even remotely like it.

There are no check points at any cities in India, I thought. I've seen a checkpoint in the forested area of Nagarhole, at the entrance to the park, but that was an anti-poaching measure. As far as I know, only Pakistani nationals visiting India have to register with the police.

Plymouth, United...
Destination Expert
for Tigaki
Level Contributor
5,487 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Trip Report Gokarna (I know it's not in Goa but...)

JANEYWHIT.

Loved that report, just the job, warts an all.

don't think i'll be going there. thanks for trying it out for us.

BOB

england
Level Contributor
4,275 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Trip Report Gokarna (I know it's not in Goa but...)

glad we did,nt go there as was thinking abt it instead we spent a couple of lovely nites on cola and agonda beach.

Asia
Level Contributor
530 posts
111 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Trip Report Gokarna (I know it's not in Goa but...)

The guy we rented a room from in Hampi told us that we needed to go and register at the police - in fact there was a sign to that effect painted on the wall outside the room. We didn't bother as we were only staying 2 nights and we'd never had to do it before. Perhaps it's unique to places with both pilgrims & tourists lol.

London, United...
Level Contributor
441 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Trip Report Gokarna (I know it's not in Goa but...)

We were told in Cochin that we needed to register with the police. However the hotel we stayed in said that they would register us - we had to fill in a book with our passport # etc. This is common practice in India, I thought.

nr manchester...
Level Contributor
118 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Trip Report Gokarna (I know it's not in Goa but...)

Hi janeywhit,I lol when i read you had stayed at the Gokarna international.Me and my friends stopped for a cold one there one day whilst sight-seeing the town,i really needed to "go" but when i saw"smelt"the toilets i did a quick about turn and found somewhere else.

There were so few tourist in the town that the police had given up with the road block and gone home,we did'nt stay in gokarna as my friends had some previous experience of the place.We headed strieght for the beech huts on Kudle beach,a far more appealing option me thinks.

Pity you never made as far as Om and paradise beach,both my friends vowed to return there soon and spend at least a week because they loved the ambience ,mind you my friends go to india for three to six months every year so have time on their hands to do these things.i missed the Hampi trip because the train was fully booked and my two weeks were comeing to an end,your report on Hampi makes the pain of missing it even harder but maybe next year!

p.s I passed agonda beach on the way to cola and meant to have a look at it but got bogged down on cola, so missed it.It's now firmly pencilled in as a must see next time.

8. Re: Trip Report Gokarna (I know it's not in Goa but...)

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 18 October 2009, 08:21